Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbolizing through Model Builder

10-29-2014 08:03 AM
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III

I am running ArcMap 10.2 from a Windows 7 machine.

I have a feature class that has a layer file applied for symbology.  We always export our maps into KMZ format for others without ArcGIS licenses, but we typically like a slightly different symbology for the KMZ. 

I created a model that runs the Apply Symbology From Layer tool, then the Map to KML tool, and then the Apply Symbology From Layer tool once again to revert back to the desired symbology for ArcMap.

Ideally, this would symbolize based on KMZ specifications, export to KMZ, and then symbolize back to the original, but it doesn't work.  Each piece works independently, but not when I add them all into the same model.  I have attached an image below showing how the model is set up.

When I run the first symbology change by itself, I do notice that it takes a couple seconds before it applies in the map document, so I wonder if the model just runs too fast to accept the changes before it continues on and spits out the KMZ and reapplies the original symbology.

I know this is a small model, with little user effort to do manually, but it is a small piece of a much larger model, so I would really like to get it to work properly.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies