naming issue after joining shapefile and xls.

Jump to solution
a month ago
SimonLake
New Contributor

hi there. so i have this shapefile with polygons for my country. there is a column called sub_cat with values 1 - 5838. I also have a xls. file with information regarding these sub_cat. both files have the column sub_cat with same amount values. when i try joining these together normally it works perfect and when I export the data I can see every column with original names. however i have tried doing this in model builder and when I open the exported shapefile after the join i see all the added columns but they have names corresponding to the file name. see attached photo showing this. i have tried adding the a csv file and dbf file neither work. I have this in arcmap and now in Pro. is there any way to fix this problem.Screenshot (74).jpgScreenshot (75).jpgScreenshot (76).jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you seeing

Maintain fully qualified field names (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

which is referenced in

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Check your environment settings in the model or consider 

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

as an alternative to "add join"

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you seeing

Maintain fully qualified field names (Environment setting)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

which is referenced in

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Check your environment settings in the model or consider 

Join Field (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

as an alternative to "add join"

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SimonLake
New Contributor

i think i figured it out. I used the join field tool instead but specified the transfer method to 'use field mapping'. this seems to have worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

as suggested... it gives you better control

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SimonLake
New Contributor

i am not sure about the first one. i am still relatively new to this. how would i see this.

when i look under environments in the add join it says no environments. not sure if this is what you meaning

0 Kudos