ModelBuilder loses file

11-03-2010 07:24 AM
MichaelBauder
New Contributor
Hello ArcGIS-Community,

I have a problem with ModelBuilder:
I created a model (see attachment: jpg and as pythonscript [just export, I have absolutely no idea of python], how can I upload the model?) with a Workspace (Iterate Feature Classes) as Model Parameter.
Input Files are all lines (.shp) with a field called Track_ID. These lines should be buffered and to the result I want to add a field called Track_name and then with the Calculate Field an Get Field Value Tools I want to name these fields with the ID. (I think I have to do this because the Buffer Tool just gives me an output with shape length, area and none of the attributes of the original line. How can I keep them?)

The problems:
1) The last Shapefile of the input workspace isn't saved in the Geodatabase (or anywhere else) it just gets lost. And I cannot find a mistake in my model. The Geoprocessing Result Window says Succeeded and all calculation are done (also with 'succeeded') even with the 'lost one'
2) The Get Field Value-Tool should grab the ID (looks like: 003) and give it as value to the field calculator as data type string. But even with that data typ it is losing the zeros and I get only a 3 instead of 003 in the output.

Info: (ArcGIS 10, ArcInfo Licence)

Many Thanks, you are helping me a lot.
MichaelBa
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidHockman-Wert
New Contributor II
I am having the same problem, and you are the first person I have found with the same problem.  Alas, no one has replied...

Feature classes in a geodatabase are processed using Iterate Feature Classes.  The messages say that the last feature class is processed in the same way as the others, producing an output raster and another feature class.  These output feature classes are collected using "Collect Values".  But when the output of the Iterate sub-model (Collect Values output) is fed into a Merge command, it crashes.  Upon further exploration, I discovered that the last output feature class in the iteration did not exist!  Does anyone know why this could be happening?

Dave
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dhockman-wert

A colleague helped solve this one for me.  For some reason, ArcGIS is deleting the output from the processing of the last feature class being iterated, because it considers it intermediate data.  This seems strange, since the output data should be "collected" by the Collect Values tool prior to being passed to the main model.

In any case, unchecking Intermediate for the Derived Data solved the problem.
0 Kudos