Select to view content in your preferred language

Model Builder Freezes When I click Verify

03-03-2016 02:29 AM
MarkYoung3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

For some reason model builder just hangs when I click verify on a simple query within query builder on the final select process below. The query is:   table name.FIELDNAME is null

If I verify without running the first two processes it says there is an error with the expression. If I run the first two processes then click verify it hangs and I have to kill ArcMap and try again.

I model.JPG

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JacobTodd1
Deactivated User

Hi Mark,

What version of ArcMap are you using?

0 Kudos
MarkYoung3
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
JacobTodd1
Deactivated User

Is this a new issue? When did this begin occurring?

0 Kudos
MarkYoung3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I don't use model builder that often but as far as I know it used to work OK

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
JacobTodd1
Deactivated User

Below are some suggestions:

1. Try using model builder in a different map document.
  2. Reset your Normal.mxt by changing it's name to Normal_old.mxt then try to either open and existing map document or a new one to see if this resolves your issue. The path to the Normal.mxt is below:

(C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcMap\Templates\Normal.mxt)

0 Kudos
MarkYoung3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Cleared normal template and tried again but it just hangs.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If the error message is saying that it's with the expression then I guess that is the problem!

• Update your question to show the expression that is being used. You seemed to have given us a generic example rather than the actual expression.
  • What's the data source formats? Are you joining a dBase to an ArcSDE?
  • Confirm that your join actually worked, do that outside model builder.
0 Kudos
MarkYoung3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

That was the sql query (apart from table name and field name is aliased) - I just want to select null values in a field. Unfortunately there is no error message, it just hangs then I have to Kill ArcMap

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Your query has a space in it between table and name, that would be invalid

table name.FIELDNAME is null

Personally and far from me to tell you how to do your analysis but a dataset called "table name" and a field called "fieldname" are not very descriptive! What metadata are you going to write about these and it is not very helpful for others if you intend to pass this data onto a client. It's akin to receiving a dataset simply called export_output7.shp. Export of what?

0 Kudos