Model Builder Assistance

10-06-2016 08:14 AM
JamesPugin
New Contributor

Hi I am trying to find a way of making an automated process using model builder or any other means for speeding up this process. I am currently working with xls data that needs to be digitized to point then converted to raster and then resampled.

As my model builder experience is limited I currently create a successful model and then copy it (at times there are upwards of 40 input files) and have to rename the output files for each step. Is there an easier way or doing this ? Is there a quicker way of doing this entire model? Ideally I would like to set my export files to have specific suffixes that would make identifying the individual files easier.

Any assistance would be appreciated. See attached example below.

model builder tool‌

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you are repeating the same processing steps but on different datasets then you need to using an iterator and inline substitution. It would be worth getting your employer to send you on a model builder course, this would definitely pay for itself.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

To expand on what Duncan Hornby suggested:

Iterators allow Modelbuilder to repeat the same process multiple times, but with a different input each time.

In-line Variable Substitution allows one to collect the input filename as it is iterated and then use that as part of the output file name so one has distinct outputs for all iterator runs.

Chris Donohue, GISP