Select to view content in your preferred language

Delete features finishes, but hangs for 10-15 minutes before next step

Jump to solution
12-10-2018 07:17 AM
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Working with 10.5.1, Advanced Desktop license. I've got a model set up in Model Builder that starts with a step to Delete Features from a point feature class in a file geodatabase with about 55,000 points in it. The points are deleted quickly, but then the tool sits at 100% complete for about 10-15 minutes before going on to the next step in the model. Because of the number of steps in the whole model, I am reluctant to export to Python and deal with the mess of code that is generated, so I'm hoping to brainstorm possible causes of the hangup in Model Builder. If I have to go to Python, so be it. Just looking for alternatives.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Your comment about the "messy" GDB made me realize that this particular point feature class has had delete features run on it many, many times. Sure enough, when I checked the OBJECTIDs on the newly appended data, they were running in the six digit range. I deleted the topology and then ran truncate table on that feature class to strip out all of the history. No more hanging on the delete features tool - it finished in seconds.

Moral of the story: use truncate table whenever you can!

Thanks for the brainstorming help, Dan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

memory issues most likely if you are using ArcMap (4 Gb memory limit on a good day minus whatever else you are running besides arcmap. 

Before you run off to script world, do you have an installation where you could try running it on ArcGIS Pro if you have a beefier machine?

0 Kudos
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

I'm running the model from ArcCatalog, so no luck there. Knowing that, do you still recommend trying it in Pro?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

running it from catalog makes no difference to the available memory, it is still arcmap at the core.

Other things you can try:

- move any data sources or destinations to local drives with simple, space-less paths (no network, no sde, local only)

- perhaps copy source files into a new file geodatabase in case your existing gdb (assuming you are using one) is getting messy.

- if you aren't using a file gdb, use one for source files at least

- then try pro

0 Kudos
AmyRoust
Regular Contributor

Your comment about the "messy" GDB made me realize that this particular point feature class has had delete features run on it many, many times. Sure enough, when I checked the OBJECTIDs on the newly appended data, they were running in the six digit range. I deleted the topology and then ran truncate table on that feature class to strip out all of the history. No more hanging on the delete features tool - it finished in seconds.

Moral of the story: use truncate table whenever you can!

Thanks for the brainstorming help, Dan.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad I could help

0 Kudos