Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.4: Enhancing the Pro to ensure that all tools performed in model builder respect the “scratch workspace environment”,

08-06-2022 09:23 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.4: Enhancing the Pro to ensure that all tools performed in model builder respect the “scratch workspace environment”,

It would be great if the Pro ensures that all tools performed in model builder respect the “scratch workspace environment”.

This issue is also discussed here:

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.4: A model builder tool fails to respect the scratch workspace environment and ends u...

4 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @JamalNUMAN the question you cited refers to https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/select.htm The Select (analysis) tool isn't a specific ModelBuilder tool. As was stated on that other thread, not all tools respect all environments. In this case, it sounds like you need the Select tool to honor the Scratch Workspace environment. I wonder if making this idea specific to that would make it more actionable... 

In the meantime, have you tried using the memory workspace if you don't need to persist it? "Data written into memory is temporary and is deleted when the application is closed, so it is an ideal location to write intermediate data created in a ModelBuilder model or Python script."

Brian_Wilson

It's probably a mistake to mention Model Builder as part of this "enhancement" aka "bug fix". It's just "tools" not "model builder tools" since you can call all of them from Python scripts.

I wish I could tell what tools honor environment settings without testing them but I live with that.

Using the memory workspace works well for me in Python. It has improved -- I have had pretty good luck with it recently. There used to be tools that did not work with it.

Using Python is generally easier for me than Model Builder because I can manage the error handling, it's easier to see when a tool breaks or is set up wrong and to interpret the results of steps than to sit watching a possibly stuck progress indicator.

I can manage environment settings more easily there too.

JamalNUMAN

Sorry for the confusion. The tittle of the idea is changed as below to better explain the required enhancement

“Enhancing the Pro to ensure that all tools performed in model builder respect the “scratch workspace environment”

JamalNUMAN

The issue persists to exist in 3.0.2

Is there any other tool that’s equivalent to “select” but to respect the environment settings?

Clip_317.jpgClip_318.jpg