What is needed to develop ArcGIS Mobile application (android and/or iOS)

05-31-2018 05:39 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

I am interested in building a mobile application that would allow users to edit and add data to a map (hosted as a mapService on ArcGIS Server) in offline mode, using the mobile device GPS and forms for data.

What tools, products and technologies are needed to develop such app?

I know this would be quite difficult to answer with such few details, but all information would be welcome.

Is using an android and iOS html5/javascript framework combined with ArcGIS Javascript API is enough or will we need to use tools like Android Studio with ArcObject SDK ?

I think the Collector app would be close to what we need, but some features are missing like complex forms to populate the features datatable. Is it possible to extend the Collector app?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The workflow is to use Survey123 for the complex forms and launch them from Collector.  One is for mapping, one is for forms.  You can launch and send data back and forth between the apps.  Should get you what you need.

Survey123 is now 3 years old with a whole team of people working on it.  So for you (I assume a single developer) to reinvent it on your own is a fairly tall order.

That said we used to use a 3rd party app called MobileMap - but that was because Collector was beta at the time.  The single developer kept up for a few years but it got tougher.

Hope that helps.

MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for your answer Doug Browning

Is survey123 is available with Arcgis Server?

Collector looks interesting, but the Android version have many negative comments on Google Store. Also, as other Esri products, Collector is developed in a very general purpose.

I'll give ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android a try for an app that will cover our specific needs.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maxime,

> Is survey123 is available with Arcgis Server?

Are you asking if Survey123 works with ArcGIS Server (aka. ArcGIS Enterprise)? Yes, please see this help topic,

Use Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maxime,

FYI, this video can provide some background on the various ArcGIS Field App options that are available.

ArcGIS Apps for the field - YouTube (3 min video)

For more detailed info, watch this tech session,

Improving Workflows with Mobile Apps - YouTube 

FYI 2, if you still want to create and deploy custom native apps, you may want to look into AppStudio for ArcGIS as an option. It enables you to convert your maps into beautiful, consumer-friendly mobile apps ready for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and publish them using your own brand to all popular app stores - no developer skills required.

Hope this helps,