Masters student studying glacier extent change

03-14-2022 09:19 PM
SMangum
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, 

I'm a grad student at The Evergreen State College in Washington State. I'm using ArcGIS Pro as part of my thesis centered on glacier extent change. I've taken a few GIS classes but I'm not proficient.

I look forward to encountering you in the ArcGIS Pro Community!

10 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello, and welcome! Sounds like you'll be doing raster analysis?

If you don't have Python in your toolbox yet, I'd suggest taking a look at some of Esri's sample Notebooks. The ArcGIS Python API has an good raster analytics module, and then of course there's everything in ArcPy as well. Jupyter Notebooks and JupyterLab are excellent resources for developing, documenting, and even presenting your work in a visually appealing way.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
SMangum
New Contributor III

Thanks @jcarlson. I have also learned a little Python so I can use it for raster analysis and automation. I'm no where near proficient in that language, or any other for that matter, but practice makes perfect, right? I haven't played around with the the ArcGIS Python API or ArcPy yet--I'm kind of scared of them--but I plan on exploring both soon. Thanks for the info about Jupyter. I'll certainly add that to the "to do" list!

Thanks again for the advice and for the warm welcome!

0 Kudos
JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

Agree with Jcarlson. Remote sensing using raster analysis techniques is a good approach. Here are 2 good articles on rasters and glaciers: 

USGS Tracking glaciers using Satellite Imagery

Retreat classification of 22 Baspa Valley Glaciers

You become proficient in GIS by using it. Start using it and when you encounter problems, the community is here to help you. 

0 Kudos
SMangum
New Contributor III

Thanks for the links @JerryBartz.

Both references you provided highlight the focus of my study--determining the relative importance of local topographic controls on glacier extent (well, actually glacier area, in my case) via raster analysis.

From USGS Tracking glaciers using Satellite Imagery:

Local topographic features influence retreat rates:  Each glacier is influenced by local variables associated with its unique location. Debris-cover, elevation, aspect, ice flow, and the presence of a lake or other water body at the glacier’s edge, may impact glacier retreat to varying degrees. 

However, rather than using a time-series approach, as in both articles you linked to, I intend to attempt a population distribution strategy. We'll see how well it works. 

Thanks again for the advice and for welcoming me to the community.

JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

Fantastic to see that you are thinking outside of the box. I was focusing more on the techniques rather than the conclusions of the cited studies. I encourage you to 'dip your toe' into Jupyter Notebooks. It is a great visual tool to step through a program.

Just a note,  using python may open a door to Geo AI and machine learning. 

0 Kudos
JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

I just received an announcement that Esri is offering a free Imagery course.

Esri Imagery in action 

SMangum
New Contributor III

Thanks!

0 Kudos
kurdishbrwar
Occasional Contributor
Greetings, I wish you success in your work. I am also thinking of a doctoral thesis in this field to develop my skills in working on the changes that have begun to accelerate recently, including hydrological studies. Greetings to you and everyone, your colleague Sabah from Iraq.

SMangum
New Contributor III

Good luck with your dissertation, Sabah! Hydrology has always been a big interest of mine, too. I started off going to engineering school to study hydrology but soon realized I don't like calculus as much as I thought I did. I must be a sucker for punishment because glaciology and differential equations go hand in hand. Thanks for the good wishes and the friendly hello!