Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to change annotation attributes

04-04-2013 06:26 AM
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III
Hello -
I am using ArcGIS 10.1. I have converted Maplex labels to annotation (not feature linked) and am looking to edit the annotation attributes. I can alter the attributes in the Attributes window but the annotation on the map does not change. see the screenshot below where NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR TERRE-NEUVE-ET-LABRADOR is aligned to the centre in the Attributes window but not on the map. Similarly the case with other labels.

Has anyone else come across this? Is there a solution for this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23201[/ATTACH]

Addendum: I've created another annotation layer at a different scale and was able to modify this one as exepcted. Both annotation data layers are stored in the same geodatabase.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III
Ok - so I haven't been able to get anywhere with the problem listed above so let's step it back a bit. I have the same features that I am labelling using Maplex. I would like the labels to be aligned to the centre but Maplex does not give me the option of doing so:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23551[/ATTACH]
How can I modify the alignment in the text?
0 Kudos
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
Hello, regarding your first post, I am not sure why your annotation is uneditable. It should change according to the preview displayed in the attributes panel. If this is not the case then submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services, an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you.
http://support.esri.com/en/

Regarding your second post you can use the stacking properties to align your labels. If you click the stacking options button then you can choose the alignment using the drop-down menu.
0 Kudos
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III
After much trial and error this problem seems to appear when setting the Spread Characters option in the labeling Placement Properties dialog box and aligning the text using the stacking Label options to Constrain to Center. This is what happens:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25726[/ATTACH]
When I turn off the Spread Characters option, all seems well:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25727[/ATTACH]
Adjusting the text spacing using the symbol formatting dialog box seems to be a satisfactory work-around to get the result I want:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25728[/ATTACH]
so problem solved on my end but I will be reporting a bug to our distributor.

I am not, however, convinced that this explanation is covers it all off since when I bring in the layer as a new layer in a document, the issue doesn't seem to be there initially.
0 Kudos