Geometric Network or No Geometric Network?

Jump to solution
07-04-2013 05:51 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I have a Feature Dataset containing separate Feature Classes for pipes, valves, and demands (customers, for lack of a better word). The topology is error free. flow direction is set correctly. I know I can easily generate a geometric network and then create a schematic.

But, I have 78 different piping systems within our Wastewater Treatment Plant in this and other Feature Datasets that I need to generate schematics for. Each piping system must be their own separate schematic. All of our Feature Classes have correct topology and flow direction. We do not need a geometric network at this point.

Can I generate a schematic of a piping system showing pipes, valves, and demands without a geometric network? OR must a schematic be generated from a geometric network? are there any problems I might encounter if I generate a schematic from a piping system that is not a geometric network?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickAnderson
You don't have to have a geometric network.  However...if you don't, then you need explicit attributes on the links that indicate the connectivity (From and To).  Implementation wise, you can handle this through some custom development that we call our XML Builder or if it is pretty straight forward to query out the 78 different diagram records + connectivity info, you can use what we call Custom Query Builder.

Probably the best place to start learning more is in our video series.

That is built to learn in a particular order, but the main items of interest for this discussion are the Configuring the XML Builder and the Configuring for Custom Queries videos.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickAnderson
You don't have to have a geometric network.  However...if you don't, then you need explicit attributes on the links that indicate the connectivity (From and To).  Implementation wise, you can handle this through some custom development that we call our XML Builder or if it is pretty straight forward to query out the 78 different diagram records + connectivity info, you can use what we call Custom Query Builder.

That is built to learn in a particular order, but the main items of interest for this discussion are the Configuring the XML Builder and the Configuring for Custom Queries videos.
0 Kudos
TimHayes

Thanks. This was the answer I was looking for. I just completed our first geometric network for our ArcGIS Schematics Pilot Project. It was a snap. Last time I worked with Geometric Networks was in 9.3.1. In 10.1 it appears to have gotten much easier to create/manage them. We will go the Geometric Network route for our ArcGIS Schematics.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Great!  It will go much easier with a Geometric Network.  At that same link above, you would want to view the Configuring the Standard Builder video.  On the main schematics community page, there is also a link to the Quick Start for Utilities which show the absolute basic 9 steps to go from a geometric network to generating diagrams.
0 Kudos