Select to view content in your preferred language

Sync 2 Data Frame Scales based on Data Driven Pages

04-01-2011 10:22 AM
RaymondWang
New Contributor III
Using Data Driven Pages is cool, but it can only be defined on 1 data frame.  I have a second data frame which shows "Area Scale" used in conjunction on the same layout.  I need that frame to be in sync with Map frame.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaymondWang
New Contributor III
Thanks for the advise.  But I'm not interested in showing extent indicator in the second frame.
I'd like to have Primary and Second Data frame to be on the same scale.  DDP can only change the primary data frame based on the information in the index.  I want the second data frame to follow.

see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/26907-DDP-Can-extent-indicator-frame-zoom-like-the-primary-frame-do...
0 Kudos
RaymondWang
New Contributor III
That's a good suggestion, unfortunately my data frames have no spatial relation relationship with the other data frame.  The use of Extent from "Other Data Frame" result in blank.  Because the data from my area scale is at (0,0).  Setting the margin to 100% will result in the same scale which you've correctly identified the soution.

My current task of work around is to use ArcPy to subsititue the AreaScale as a "Picture Element" such as a logo.  Each DDP will have a defined scale, so I can create the AreaScale ahead of time and just refrence different images per DDP.

I'm running to road block there also.  It's frustrating, but I guess it's part of the learning process.  Thanks to the forum that we can share our thoughts.  Like Jack says, we are each other's greatest resource.

It's still the same procedure. You don't have to show an extent indicator to use that data frame extent option.
Open the properties dialog for the second data frame, the one without Data Driven Pages and select the Data Frame tab. At the top of the dialog, Extent dropdown, select "Other Data Frame". Then you will see various options for how you want the current data frame's extent to be driven by the other data frame. Set the margin to 100%.
0 Kudos
RaymondWang
New Contributor III
I found a solution to my problem.... for anyone who is interested.

The solution with 2nd data frame property of use Extent from "Other Data Frame" to sync with the primary data frame will only work when the layout window of primary frame (9" x 8") is in exact porportion to 2nd frame (.9" x .8").  In my case, by setting the maring to 10% resulted the scale to match.  I had to move my area scale feature dataset to the centroid of the DDP index object.
0 Kudos