Select to view content in your preferred language

Switching Between Data Frames

06-23-2011 05:28 AM
JohnMoody
Emerging Contributor
I have a mxd's with multiple data frames and data driven pages enabled, so that when one frame changes view, the others change as well.  When I go to activate another data frame for editing, the program crashes.  I open the mxd and try again, and it continues to crash.  I can't finish my work under these conditions, and it does this for all my maps set up this way.  I try to start my maps again from scratch, and it works for a bit, but eventually goes back to crashing every time I try to move from one data frame to the next. 

What is wrong with ArcMap 10 (I'm using ArcView license) that makes it so buggy and how do I fix this issue?  Will 10.1 provide a fix?  I have a Intel 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz, could my hardware be an issue?

My reliability history is full of instances where 'ArcMap has stopped working' or 'stopped responding and was closed' and its been like that every since I switched to ArcMap 10.  I experience this on a daily basis, sometimes dozen of times a day, and its extremely annoying.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you tried isolating the issue?  For example, does it happen when data driven pages are disabled?  Are you editing in layout view or data view, etc.

Please submit this to Support Services so they can help with isolating the issue.

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
LaurenFagg
Regular Contributor
I have had a similar problem. I was trying to create data driven pages from v9.3.1 .mxd's that had mapbook enabled - I didn't wat to have to re-create the layout from scratch. All was working fine until I tried to link my data frames. Once I did that arcmap was completely corrupted. I couldn't work with any 9.3.1 .mxd's without crashing and ArcMap became more and more tempermental with all my projects - crrashed every 5 minutes.

So I un-installed re-installed ArcGIS10. This time I linked my data frames FIRST, then created the data driven pages. Doing it in this order seems to have avoided the problem and ArcMap is humming along happily.
0 Kudos
DavidPritchard
New Contributor
This issue is still occurring in ArcGIS10 SP5.

it is continuously crashing when i try to select the data frame in Layout mode.  Just trying to align it with other legend materials.
0 Kudos
StephanieSorensen
Emerging Contributor
I am having this problem as well. I created the maps in 9.3 and opened them a couple of days ago in 10 to revise them. Every time I click on the inset map in layout view, the system "stops working." I am unable to finish these maps without being able to modify the inset map.

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Would it be possible to send me a map package.  Send to jbarrette@esri.com

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
StephanieSorensen
Emerging Contributor
I was able to open a blank map, assign the correct layout to it, and transfer the data over. Problem solved, for now. If this happens again in the near future, I will be sure to send you a map package of it!

Thanks,
Steph
0 Kudos