Select to view content in your preferred language

show in the map the data from attribute table

Jump to solution
01-18-2013 06:19 AM
ManuelVillanueva_Martinez
New Contributor
Hi all,

I am a new user of ArcMap and I would like to know how to visualize in the map the data that I have in the attribute table. More specifically, I would like to show with different colours the countries depending on the population they have, for example from 0 to 1 million people one colour, from 1 million to 5 million another colour,... more than 100 million another colour.

Thank you in advance
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
You have many options.  I'll point you to a few but you will probably want to read ArcGIS's help with each.

1. Right click on your layer - Layer Properties - Symbology - Quantities.  You have a lot of options here so it is definitely worth reading the help.
2. Add a field for symbology, add values to it based on the data you want to represent, likely by selecting certain values in your data field and then using the calculator to populate your symbology field.  Then use Symbology - Categories to show them.
3. Add your data layer as many times as you have categories.  Use a layer definition on your data field to limit each layer's content to your intended category.  Then symbolize each layer/category as you like.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
You have many options.  I'll point you to a few but you will probably want to read ArcGIS's help with each.

1. Right click on your layer - Layer Properties - Symbology - Quantities.  You have a lot of options here so it is definitely worth reading the help.
2. Add a field for symbology, add values to it based on the data you want to represent, likely by selecting certain values in your data field and then using the calculator to populate your symbology field.  Then use Symbology - Categories to show them.
3. Add your data layer as many times as you have categories.  Use a layer definition on your data field to limit each layer's content to your intended category.  Then symbolize each layer/category as you like.
ManuelVillanueva_Martinez
New Contributor
Hi John,

Thank you for the advice. I went through Simbology and Quantities, but in the value field I have none option, whereas in the attribute table I have area and population values for every attribute.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Make sure your quantity field really is a number type, not a text type.  Graduated colors only work on number fields.
0 Kudos
ShashikantNishantSharma
New Contributor

Very easy steps. Thanks 

0 Kudos