Select to view content in your preferred language

"Spatial reference does not match data frame"

05-25-2017 06:58 AM
AndreaRodríguez_Macías
Deactivated User

Hello!

I have an excel table with coordinates. i converted them in to a shapefile and defined the coordinate system (WGS84). The coordinates are withdrawn from the GPS. In ArcMap they can be shown and it seems that they are in the correct coordinate system but nevertheless I cannot edit them. It says: spatial reference does not match data frame. What does it mean? (I am sorry, I am quite new in working with arcgis) So i have to change the coordinate system of the shapefile? 

Greetings and thank you!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Assuming it is a featureclass or shape you are using... Insert Dataframe... put the file in there without any other files.  That file will define the coordinate system of the dataframe, check to see if everything is alright, then edit there

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another point is: When the coordinate system of the layer doesn't match that of the data-frame, a warning window comes up when you start editing. But you can continue and edit the features.

In Table of Contents > Right-click the layer > Edit > Start editing. Ignore the warning and Continue. Are you able to edit the features?

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreaRodríguez_Macías
Deactivated User

Thank you, Dan. That´s what i have done. I can start the editor, but some fields stay grey, I cannot use them. 

So, I tried to edit two other shapefile (both WGS84) in another (blank) map and tried to add a point or a line. And still, these are not usable, they stay grey. For example I cannot add points or lines...but thats exactly what i need. You know why this might be? I have added a shapefile in WGS84 which before I have generated in ArcCatalog, but still these one I cannot edit completely. 

Greetings!!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can only create one type of geometry at a time... it sounds like you didn't specify the geometry type when creating it in arccatalog or you are trying to mix geometries Try the  Create Feature Class tool... read carefully if you want a shapefile, it is not the default featureclass type