Select to view content in your preferred language

Print / export map : adapt the size

Jump to solution
02-03-2014 03:57 AM
AngeliquePalle
New Contributor
Hello,

It sound like a stupid question but I have been trying for little while and I can't find the answer. I want to export / print a map on arcgis and I want to print only what is displayed on my screen (and fit a regular A4). How do I do that ? I am in the layout view, in page and print setup I have set the right paper size but I want to choose the scale myself and have the map fit the zoom that I decide, not a pre selected one ...

Thanks a lot !
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaChisholm
Regular Contributor
Hello Angelique,

After you've changed the page size (File > Print and Page Setup...) to A4, I think you basically just adjust the size of the dataframe (the map) in the layout view. Just use the Select Elements tool (black mouse pointer), click on the map element then move the corners of the dataframe so it fits the whole page. After that zoom to your desired area set set your scale.

To export the map, just go File > Export Map.... Note that exporting from layout view and exporting from data view will produce different results. Exporting from data view will only export the data on the screen, but it won't be the A4 dimensions. Exporting from layout view will produce everything within the page (that you have set to be A4).

Let me know if you get it working or not. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaChisholm
Regular Contributor
Hello Angelique,

After you've changed the page size (File > Print and Page Setup...) to A4, I think you basically just adjust the size of the dataframe (the map) in the layout view. Just use the Select Elements tool (black mouse pointer), click on the map element then move the corners of the dataframe so it fits the whole page. After that zoom to your desired area set set your scale.

To export the map, just go File > Export Map.... Note that exporting from layout view and exporting from data view will produce different results. Exporting from data view will only export the data on the screen, but it won't be the A4 dimensions. Exporting from layout view will produce everything within the page (that you have set to be A4).

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you print from the Layout View it should only print what you have displayed in the layout window.   Provided your map page size and paper size are the same.
0 Kudos
AngeliquePalle
New Contributor
Hello Angelique,

It does ! Thanks a lot to you both for your answers !
0 Kudos
Tristan_JayPerania
New Contributor
hi! can i ask additional question regarding this problem? can this be done programmatically? i mean the export/print stuff.
0 Kudos
JoshuaChisholm
Regular Contributor
Hello Tristan,

Yes there is (python):

import arcpy
mxd=arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"C:\Path\To\Map.mxd")
df=arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "TargetDataFrameName")[0] #Make sure you choose enter the name of the dataframe you wish to export.
arcpy.mapping.ExportToPDF(mxd,r"C:\Path\To\Output.pdf",df,df_export_width=1600,df_export_height=1200)
del mxd

Note that df_export_width and df_export_height are in number of pixels.

More info here.

Let me know if that's what you were looking for, or if you need more assistance. Good luck!
0 Kudos