Maintaining consistent symbology and classification breaks between layers

04-02-2010 12:06 PM
PamFroemke
New Contributor
I am trying to produce about 30 different map jpgs. I'd like the symbology and classification breaks to be identical in all the maps. My underlying dataset for all map layers is a shapefile with 30 fields. I tried setting all the symbology and manual classifications (I wanted the breaks and labels at 10, 20, 50, 75, and 101 no matter what the data were) in a layer, saving it as a lyr file and then copying it and changing the value field. As soon as I change the field, the symbol colors, labels, and classification breaks change as well. I've tried looking for a setting that prevents this but haven't found anything yet. I refuse to believe that a basic, simple task such as this is not possible and that I would have to reclassify the same breaks, set the same colors, and re-type the same labels 30 times! I was thinking that I have successfully copied layers like this before, but possibly with an older version (I have 9.3 now).

Thank you!
Pam
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BuddyJones
New Contributor
I'm trying to do the same thing.  Did you really not ever get a reply?
0 Kudos
PamFroemke
New Contributor
No, I never received a reply. Since ESRI redesigned these customer support pages I get fewer replies to my questions and have no luck finding other answers from a search of the forum pages. Seems like I always used to find the solutions I was looking for and now I almost always come away empty-handed. Maybe I just have harder questions these days.

I haven�??t had the time to try it yet, but ArcGIS 10 has ability to use Python scripts to automate some mapping tasks. Let me know if you have any success.

Pam
0 Kudos