Label polygons at vertices

Jump to solution
03-13-2013 09:49 AM
JoMoore__GISP
New Contributor II
I need to label polygons at every inside corner, any ideas?
thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: melanie_summers

Hi Jo,

In a very simplistic test I was able to do this by:

1. Creating an empty shapefile and creating a single rectangle that compassed all of the polygons to be labeled
2. Run the Erase Tool using the Input as the newly created rectangle and the erase feature to be the polygons to be labeled
3. Use the Maplex labeling engine and open the Label Weights dialog, increase the weight of the erased polygon to 1000, this should push all labels off the erased polygon layer and into the labeled polygons
4. Change the symbology of the erased polygon layer so it is no longer visible

Best,
Melanie S.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jo,

You could Convert the Polygon to Points using Feature Vertices to Points and then label the points.

Best,

Melanie S.
0 Kudos
JoMoore__GISP
New Contributor II
Thanks Melanie, any idea how to force the point label to the inside of the polygon?  I'm trying to label the inside corners of abutting polygons?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jo,

In a very simplistic test I was able to do this by:

1. Creating an empty shapefile and creating a single rectangle that compassed all of the polygons to be labeled
2. Run the Erase Tool using the Input as the newly created rectangle and the erase feature to be the polygons to be labeled
3. Use the Maplex labeling engine and open the Label Weights dialog, increase the weight of the erased polygon to 1000, this should push all labels off the erased polygon layer and into the labeled polygons
4. Change the symbology of the erased polygon layer so it is no longer visible

Best,
Melanie S.
JoMoore__GISP
New Contributor II

seriously convoluted but it works!  thanks!

0 Kudos