Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I recover my feature class?

06-20-2019 06:09 PM
DSmith_InnovateInc
New Contributor

Origin

A critical feature class spontaneously began exhibiting unusual behavior after some minor attribute edits. I had just finished editing some text fields, and realized some features weren't being drawn. Additionally, I received the following error:

One or more layers failed to draw:

Unexpected operation [Streets]
Whitespace is not allowed at this location.

Behavior

Only a small fraction of the features display at full extent. If you zoom in on many of the features, everything displays like normal. When you pan or zoom so that certain features are in the map extent, however, most of the features vanish again. It's like certain features were somehow tainted.

Full Extent:

Just one zoom level further:

Opening the attribute table initially shows the first 23 features and many blank rows. After a second or two, the blank rows populate so that there are 119 features in the table. There should, however, be upwards of 236 features in that FC! but quickly catches up and displays 119 features (There should be upwards of 236 features). The weird thing is that everything seems to display at certain extents, but not other extents!

First 1-2 seconds after opening the attribute table:

After most, but not all features populate. Note the significant gap in ObjectIDs:

System

The feature class lives in a file geodatabase stored on a shared network drive (with plenty of free memory). I'm running ArcMap 10.6. I've tried MXD doctor like this article suggests (although I don't use ArcPress), but the feature class is exhibiting the same behavior on multiple computers independent of the MXD; I suspect the feature class was somehow corrupted on the shared network drive (Windows Server 2012 R2).

Precedent

I've never seen this kind of error before, but it's behaving similar to the occasional General Function Failures that occur when I'm away from an open MXD and the computer goes to sleep. In these cases, all features of all feature classes in the MXD vanish, and will be corrupted if I save any edits or the MXD. I always close the program without saving, and everything repopulates correctly. This problem has persisted after after rebooting ArcMap several times, and it appears on separate computers.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can assist on this issue. Also, this is my first post, so not sure if this is the right GeoNet location for general troubleshooting.

Dustin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you tried checking / repair geometry.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/checking-and-repairing-geom...

I would think that leaving a feature class open for editing like over night, is not a good idea.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

There is a thread(s) about group policy settings in regards to shared network drives that can cause issues of data source disconnectivity, but I did not read about data cooruption.  At least something to look into.  Were there recent Automatic Windows updates at your org?

0 Kudos
DSmith_InnovateInc
New Contributor

Michael,

Could you link to that thread? I can't imagine our IT staff would schedule a Windows Update on a Thursday afternoon, but I will check with them.

Much appreciated,

Dustin

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Here's the thread that I was alluding to:

https://community.esri.com/thread/194179-anyone-getting-random-general-function-errors-with-windows-...

It covers more ArcMap versions than just 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
DSmith_InnovateInc
New Contributor

Neil,

Thanks for the tip! The PROBLEM code returned by Check Geometry was

"Short Segment - Some segments are shorter than allowed by the system units of the spatial reference associated with the geometry."

This is strange because the FID indicated is 23, highlighted in the second image below, and obviously not too short for the map units (US_Feet; I'm using California State Plane VI).

Check Geometry Output with problem feature in view:

Streets attribute table with problem features in view:

I ran the Repair Geometry Tool with "Delete Features with Null Geometry" unchecked - Check Geometry found no features with Null Geometry. Received:

WARNING 000461: Repaired feature 23 because of short segments
WARNING 000986: C:\...\Streets0.txt contains the full list of non simple features.

Streets0.txt only says Repaired feature 23 because of short segments. Nothing has changed about the FCs behavior. I ran Check Geometry tool again, but it found no errors.

I should also mention the following:

My computer's C: drive has 15.1 GB free / 237 GB. ArcMap itself is stored on this drive, and near-full physical hard drives are prone to random errors. Granted, that wouldn't fully explain why the feature class on a network drive would corrupt.

When I open the Streets FC attribute table and scroll down, the scroll bar/indicator jumps from 25% down to about 75% down. The middle chunk (24-151) of features is still missing, but it would seem it is still accounting for the missing features.

Also, I did not leave the feature class open for editing overnight. The problem began after a short edit session. I mentioned that General Function failures occur sometimes when I'm away from the computer for five minutes and the computer goes to sleep, whether I'm in an edit session or not. 

Thank you,

Dustin

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

It looks like you are using ArcMap.  Do you have access to Pro as well?  If so, Pro's Repair Geometry tool is better as it has ESRI and OGC repair types whereas ArcMap only has the ESRI option.  The OGC option found geometry errors that the ESRI version did not when I encountered some geometry errors.