DYNAMIC TEXT & ATTRIBUTE TABLES

03-02-2011 07:45 AM
WadeOehmichen
New Contributor
What I am trying to do is this.  Just like the dynamic text box you can make to display Latitude / Longitude of center of screen to display in a text box, and as you move the view it updates the boxes.

I would like to do the same thing with Town / Range / Section

I have a SECTION shapefile that in the attribute table has 3 different columns with T/R/S data.

But I can't figure out how to get the dynamic text to display information from an attribute table and update as I move my view.

Anyone?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertReabe
New Contributor II
Hello Wade,

The only way I've been able to do this is by using Data Driven Pages. I set DDP to use the layer that has the Town-Range-Section data. Then use <dyn type="page" property="Twp"/> where Twp  is the name of the field with the Township or the Range or Section data

Bob
0 Kudos
DeborahVeen
New Contributor III
I would like to use multiple attributes from my layer's attribute table as dynamic text on my layout.  I've assigned one as page name and one as page count but I'd like to add additional text fields (polygon acres, district, township/range, etc) that will update as the page changes.  The Dynamic Text under the Insert menu only has set text related to the map document & data frame.  This used to be a simple task in MapBooks called 'Tag with Index Layer Field' and allowed you to use any attribute column that was included in the Index layer.  Is there no way to do this with Data Driven Pages or am I missing something?
Thks.
0 Kudos
DeborahVeen
New Contributor III
Ah ha!  Real simple...too bad they never actually say it straight out in the documentation - at least that I could find. 
Create as many text fields as you need and populate with <dyn type="page" property="fieldname"/> where field name is the name of the column from your index layer that you want to use.  So now I am able to include all 10 columns from my index layer attribute table as labels across my layout that will be automatically updated for each page in the series.
0 Kudos
MichaelGuarino
New Contributor II
Ah ha!  Real simple...too bad they never actually say it straight out in the documentation - at least that I could find. 
Create as many text fields as you need and populate with <dyn type="page" property="fieldname"/> where field name is the name of the column from your index layer that you want to use.  So now I am able to include all 10 columns from my index layer attribute table as labels across my layout that will be automatically updated for each page in the series.

Changing the dynamic text putting the new field name in there does not work for me. Any tips and tricks?
0 Kudos
JanetBraymen
New Contributor II

THANK YOU.   I knew it had be simple but couldn't find the answer in the help.  Made my day!
0 Kudos
CrystalWheaden
New Contributor
Changing the dynamic text putting the new field name in there does not work for me. Any tips and tricks?

Thanks for the help Deborah Veen!

For the above question, make sure that the field name you use is the exact match of the actual field name and not just the alias that is shown for the field.
0 Kudos