Select to view content in your preferred language

Data Driven Pages - Series Index

04-20-2010 09:14 AM
JacobTerstriep
New Contributor II
Is there a way in the new data driven pages to easily create a series index based on a specific feature and series page number and/or grid number.  For example with map book i was able to create a series index for a centerline file in relation to what page number and grid section, ie maple street - Pg 5 -  D6, and export that list to an excel file.
This was a very handy one step process within DS Map Book
0 Kudos
28 Replies
SANDRAELLENBERG
New Contributor
I have come up with a simple solution to the dreaded Create Street Index. Just read the README to see how it works. I do hope this helps.

Thanks, This worked for us. I just selected Fullname for streets and the GridBook page fields. This made the layer that can be saved out to a table for editing.
0 Kudos
StephAllen
New Contributor
I have come up with a simple solution to the dreaded Create Street Index. Just read the README to see how it works. I do hope this helps.

Brilliant! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing!

😄
0 Kudos
IanTucker
New Contributor
Hi

I�??m creating a map book using data driven pages, however I need to delete index features as they do not show anything of value within that grid. You�??ll see the image attached to the email, there is basically 2 distinct areas in the County that I need to make a one map book for. The grid index needs to follow the Bow River, but I do not need to include the portion of the river that runs through Calgary.

Would you have any suggestions for me? I can go into editing mode and delete those grids I do not need, but I�??m afraid it will confuse my page numbering.

I appreciate your thoughts and time on this,

Thanks,
Jenn[ATTACH=CONFIG]12233[/ATTACH]

I would suggest clipping the Bow river with the City of Calgary polygon to create 3 separate sections of the river. Then run 2 seperate grids on the 2 sections you need.  For your second grid, start the page number after however many pages the first mapbook is, then merge pdfs.  I don't believe there is a way to alter the numbering otherwise
0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to have the pages sort in ascending order.  It works good but the comma separated values sometimes appear as 42,30,31 instead of 30 31 42.
jim
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
This would probably be better in a separate post (for those trying to search and learn) but here one approach.

The issue must be that your page numbers are formated as a string.  Try:

>>> keys = ["2", "10", "14", "100", "23"]
>>> keys.sort()
>>> print keys
['10', '100', '14', '2', '23']

>>> keys.sort(key=lambda x: [int(y) for y in x.split('.')])
>>> print keys
['2', '10', '14', '23', '100']
0 Kudos
CherieKlein
New Contributor

I was so happy to find this post.  This was exactly what I needed for my project!  Thanks very much for sharing.  I have a map of roads that I created a Reference Grid for and wanted to provide a road index on the map referencing the grid.  One thing I found was that I needed to redo my reference grid so that the rows where alpha and the columns were numeric because that is how the DDP grid index tool labels the grid.  I was also pleased to see that I could select only the roads that appeared in my map before using this toolbox and it honored that selection in the output.  We have a very large area covered by roads and I was zoomed into a much smaller area.
0 Kudos
TimBroderick
New Contributor
This was perfect - exactly what I needed. Thank you so much - do you have tip jar somewhere?
0 Kudos
MikeDahm
Occasional Contributor
An automated way to do it would be to use the following example and use as is or with some python modifications:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/localgovernment/10.2/index.html#//028s00000160000000

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/39710

Both of these give ways to do the street index.  The first is nice because it will create pages for you to use within Data Driven pages.  You can modify the code to change the layout.  The first example also requires no merging, intersecting or clipping on the users part, it is all automated.
0 Kudos
CherieKlein
New Contributor

I just wanted to thank you for posting this, I had been looking for just such a tool and this works great for me!  I wanted my street index to match a reference grid I had on my data frame.  I discovered that I needed to be sure that the Alpha characters were on the rows and the Numeric was on the columns first to match how your tool works.  I figured out what size I wanted my reference grid cells (3"x3") to help with creating the grid.  I used data driven pages to create my grid using the coordinates of the lower left corner of my data frame as the starting point and the size of each "grid cell" to match my reference grid (3"x3").  Once I had my grid, I ran your tool to get my street index.  Very nice!
0 Kudos