Creatng a Map Book of single layers

09-08-2014 03:30 PM
ShannonShy
New Contributor II

I've been working on a distribution model of about 40 different species that encompass one specific location.  Each species' range/distribution has been made into a layer, so i have about 40 layers. I want to make a map book that contains a page for each layer, this is different than making a map book of data driven pages because that shows an entire area at different extents.  How do I automate the map book process without having to make a different map for each individual layer?

Thank you, and any solution will help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You can do this with Data Driven Pages. Your index layer (which would normally be a set of polygons covering different areas) would be 40 copies of the same polygon, each with a different value in a column, denoting species. Merge your 40 different layers into one layer, with a column denoting species. After setting up the data driven pages to show a page for each species, set a Page Definition Query so that only the features in your species layer with a species value matching the current index are shown.

ShannonShy
New Contributor II

Will the merge be able to differentiate between the raster values, (0,1) both with a certain count which is different for each species, for each species? I understand assigning each layer a column for each species but I want to make sure that the data for each layer won't merge into one big mess with all of the species distribution "counts" showing all at once.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

My previous reply assumed you were using vector data, which would be easier. I've never done it, but this knowledge article seems to outline how to achieve something similar with raster data.