Arrows pointing to point features

01-31-2016 02:58 PM
BradleySmith2
New Contributor III

I'm working on a trail map and would like to illustrate trail segments and their corresponding distances. In order to clearly indicate the segments, I would like to use arrows like the attached example. I have created point features where all of the segments begin and end using the intersect tool, but now I would like to figure out how to place arrows like the example (see red circles). Ideally, the arrows should be angled so as to avoid overlapping the linear trail features. Does anyone know how I might be able to do this?

Example.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can use a symbol (or picture marker symbol) and use the rotation setting on the symbols:

The challenge may be in the offset of the symbol to the actual point location. You can use X and Y offsetting in the properties of the symbol, but this does not give correct results when applying rotation.

... and the effect on large rotation angles:

An alternative could be creating rotation angle classes (for instance each 30°) and define a symbol with the proper offset for each symbol.

BradleySmith2
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply. It looks like the key to making this work is having a field with the rotation angle for each symbol. Correct?

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that is correct. However, if you have an offset of the symbol to the point location, you may have to create different classes and define symbols for each class.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

this location is for help about GeoNet the community structure is here

GeoNet Community Structure

You can move your question here Geoprocessing  to get full coverage should any of the responses not work