Local Government Information Model in SQL Server

11-30-2016 05:54 AM
JesseMardis1
New Contributor II

I am a new LGIM user in city government that is just getting started in the implementation process (or attempting to, anyway).  The intent is to gradually move all city data to the model.  Currently, all of our data is in SQL Server and we would like it to stay there.  Does anyone have any experience/tips on the best practice for implementing LGIM in SQL Server?  For example, should I create a LGIM local gdb, move our data there, then port to SQL Server or should I create the LGIM in SQL Server and manipulate the data there?  My apologies if this question or a similar question has been asked.  It would seem the most difficult step in implementing the LGIM is actually getting started.  Any helpful tips on best practices or good beginning steps would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Jesse Mardis‌ It is very hard to suggest a strategy without in-depth knowledge of your existing infrastructure and your near and long-term goals. Based on what you've described above, I suggest keeping your work in SQL Server unless you run into something that requires you to work in FGDB. We ship an FGDB just because that is the easiest way to package up the content o deliver it to you.

How exactly you go about this is a decision that will be unique to each organization. I recommend a careful read of the documentation here: Local Government Information Model | ArcGIS for Local Government . There are links to tools that will help you migrate an update, and also some discussion on the Get Started - Overview page of strategies for migrating.

There are also some good videos on E380 that might help you decide how to proceed. Here's one example: Home | Esri Video 

The simplest strategy - in my opinion - is to pick a solution that will help your organization in some way, and to start there. Organize the few datasets that are needed for that solution, build out the maps and apps, and then move on to the next one. Working in small chunks like this will be a lot simpler than biting off the whole LGIM and you get results in the form of a workflow or app very quickly. The end goal of the LGIM is, after all, to help you organize your content so that it is more usable.

JesseMardis1
New Contributor II

Allison, thank you for your reply.  I like the idea of doing the migration in chunks rather than "biting off the whole LGIM."  I'll give one dataset a try and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Jesse- just be aware that feature datasets have a nasty habit of misbehaving when deployed in an enterprise database environment.  I have limited experience wih the LGIM, but would reccomend using only those pieces you really need and avoiding feature datasets whenever possible.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos