Lidar Tree Height Data

10-17-2020 06:36 AM
BradGroceman
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I am trying to develop a map that has accurate line of sight calculations for a point to point system.   Trees are my main issue.  I have been looking for accurate lidar data and I am striking out so far.   It am trying to avoid breaking the piggy bank and shelling out the $$$ for a drone with a lidar camera.   Does anyone know where I can get (free or paid) current (<2 years old)accurate lidar data?  I need it for the  Eastern Kansas Region (Lawrence-Leavenworth) and Western Missouri (Oak Grove-Odessa) specifically.  Or does anyone have any experience/ideas/resources they could point me to. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Regular Contributor

Have you looked on the National Map?  TNM Delivery 

Looks like there is at some lidar available in both those areas.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford01
New Contributor III

Another good place to check is the US Interagency Elevation Inventory.    https://coast.noaa.gov/inventory/  

2016 South Central NE NW Kansas Lidar

2018 NRCS Kansas Statewide QL2 Lidar

In the USGS, I usually select the metada for the lidar file, find the lidar tiles in shapefile in the directory and then copy the download link.   I then add a field to the lidar tiles and calculate a path using the full download directory path and the name field replacing for each path.   Select and paste the path the into a download program like Free Download Manager or others to download in mass.

0 Kudos