Select to view content in your preferred language

Offline Maps Update Availability

Jump to solution
07-25-2023 01:26 PM
NikkKarataev
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm currently exploring ways to efficiently notify our users when updates become available for their maps, which have been downloaded from online sources.

I've investigated the use of getDownloadAvailability, but we created the map using GenerateOfflineMapJob and I haven't found any information related to scheduling update workflows.

Any advice or insights into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shubham_Sharma
Esri Contributor

You can use the class OfflineMapUpdatesInfo, which provides information on the available updates for an offline map. And the property scheduledUpdatesDownloadSize to schedule updates to be stored using the online map area and downloaded to your device at a later time or immediately.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Shubham_Sharma
Esri Contributor

You can use the class OfflineMapUpdatesInfo, which provides information on the available updates for an offline map. And the property scheduledUpdatesDownloadSize to schedule updates to be stored using the online map area and downloaded to your device at a later time or immediately.

JakeHimmel
New Contributor

Hi, It seems as if we can only use the methods above when we generated an offline map using a PreplannedMap area?  Or can this be used with an offline map generated by user from geometry and parameters generated by user interaction (using createGenerateOfflineMapJob)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Shubham_Sharma
Esri Contributor

There are two workflows you can use to take a map offline:

• On-demand: Using an OfflineMapTask with GenerateOfflineMapParameters and run the job using OfflineMapJob. Tutorial Link
  • Ahead of time: Using an OfflineMapTask with DownloadPreplannedOfflineMapParameters, and run the download job using a DownloadPreplannedOfflineMapJob: Tutorial Link

Both workflows will accept a user-defined/custom geometry as part of the task parameters to take the map offline.

JakeHimmel
New Contributor

I do not see a way to alter the geometry of a PreplannedMapArea, the 'AreaOfInterestGeometry' link  is immutable.  Is there another way to alter the geometry of a Preplanned Offline Map? 

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Shubham_Sharma
Esri Contributor

@JakeHimmel Thanks for pointing it out, after looking into the API ref more, currently there is no way to alter a geometry of a preplanned offline map on the client side.

In order to choose which areas of the map to take offline, you would need to set up the portal item with a layer or list of layers in which you can define a custom offline map area. Then, using the SDK you can get these getPreplannedMapAreas to retrieve and choose an area to be taken offline. If you would like to change the preplanned map areas, you would need to update the web map settings and then take the updated area offline again. 

More info: Enabling layers and maps for offline use