Select to view content in your preferred language

Intersection of a point and a shapefile feature

Jump to solution
01-07-2015 08:46 AM
JulienTroudet
Deactivated User

Hello,

I'm not very experienced with the Arcgis SDK, so please excuse me if my questions are not perfectly understandable.

For a research project I have a dataset of points all over the world with lat-long coordinates. I also have a grid, in the form of a shapefile with multiple polygons, that covers all of the earth. The shapefile spatial reference is Eckert-IV.

An illustration of my data could be this (with a lot more point in each square) :

gminuscru.gif

I must find for each of my points the name of the square (polygon) he is in, and add this in a file. The name is a property of each of my features in the shapefile.

For the moment I proceed like this :

For each point{

Convert the point to Eckert-IV as newPoint

For Each feature in my shapefile{

Geometry intersection = GeometryEngine.intersect(feature.getGeometry(), newPoint, eckert-IV);

if(intersection is not empty){

assign the name of the feature to the point

break;

}

}

}

This is pseudocode, but I think you get the idea.

This works, I tested it, but it takes a long time to test every point (my feature are 100*100km squares, so there a lot of them)

And at least but not last, I have to do this for more tan 500 millions point. And i cant let run my code for more than a year

So my question is : What are the alternatives ? I suppose I'm not the first to try this sort of thing so I suppose there's already a bunch of tools or algorithms that will do this more efficiently.

If some people here have an idea of how I can proceed I would be very happy !

Thanks for your time !

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VijayGandhi
Deactivated User

Hi Julien,

There is a lot of computation here that could be avoided. Instead of checking intersection of every point with every polygon, you could create a spatial index using the polygons and then check every point against the spatial index. The complexity for the first case is O(n points x m polygons). In the second case, it could be reduced to O(m) + O(n x log m) (O(m) for building the index).

The polygons in your data seem to be static, so a spatial index such as a grid-based or a quad-tree could be a good fit. An example of quad tree implementation is at http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-use-quadtrees-to-detect-likely-collisions-in... ). Another spatial index at aled/jsi · GitHub

Some other thoughts:

1) You could spawn multiple threads that run concurrently.

2) In general, using Geometry.intersects() takes less time compared to Geometry.intersect() followed by checking whether it returned something.

Vijay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VijayGandhi
Deactivated User

Hi Julien,

There is a lot of computation here that could be avoided. Instead of checking intersection of every point with every polygon, you could create a spatial index using the polygons and then check every point against the spatial index. The complexity for the first case is O(n points x m polygons). In the second case, it could be reduced to O(m) + O(n x log m) (O(m) for building the index).

The polygons in your data seem to be static, so a spatial index such as a grid-based or a quad-tree could be a good fit. An example of quad tree implementation is at http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-use-quadtrees-to-detect-likely-collisions-in... ). Another spatial index at aled/jsi · GitHub

Some other thoughts:

1) You could spawn multiple threads that run concurrently.

2) In general, using Geometry.intersects() takes less time compared to Geometry.intersect() followed by checking whether it returned something.

Vijay

0 Kudos
JulienTroudet
Deactivated User

Thanks for your answer !

I will look into this and try what you suggest.

I'll update my progress here.

0 Kudos