Select to view content in your preferred language

High Brightness Flickering Nuisance

Jump to solution
02-24-2014 11:36 PM
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Occasional Contributor III
Has anyone else besides me noticed the map flickering when the brightness or contrast is set to high while the map is being centered on an object? This can be easily reproduced by adding a dynamic layer as base map (noticed in a local dynamic map service layer rendering an map package, have not tried a tiled layer), have its brightness set to 100, adding a graphic to a graphics layer, having it routinely update its location on the map, and having the map center on its location as it updates.

The good news is that the map consistently appears to restore the base map content after panning unto the graphic, but it sometimes tend to turn black at times when it restores it at a slower rate. Another is that this does not occur at all when the opacity of the base map layer is used, instead, to resemble a brighter display by reducing its value.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
It's actually a core rendering issue with OpenGL which happens to be how we render things in Linux.  You can actually make it flicker in Windows too if you switch the RenderEngine (however I don't encourage that).

As support say, we are aiming to fix this in the next release.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Update: I was able to capture a screenshot of the noted behavior: normal applied brightness raster distortion, and applied contrast raster distortion. I caused the map to be busy posting/updating symbols while maintaining its center to that of one of the symbols being displayed and frequently repositioned. This produced a longer visible raster distortion to the point that the map could not keep up with raster display within its extent, hence appeared to have stopped refreshing the raster display. I have not tested if this occurs using tiled layers.

I must add that the raster layer was created by a map package containing a mosaic dataset that displays raster data from a geodatabase as seen on ArcGIS Desktop. I must also add that the opacity property on the raster layers has been manipulated to similar extent since introduced in version 10.1.1, and this has not occurred.
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Carlos,

I've not managed to reproduce this.  Can you get me a reproducer application?

Mark
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
I've not managed to reproduce this.  Can you get me a reproducer application?

Really? Have you tried a map package containing a mosaic dataset that displays raster data from a geodatabase? I can't upload a test map package with which this can be noticed because it's too large (6.37 MB  or 6,683,596 bytes). Let me know how else I can get it to you.
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Really!  I'm usually very good at breaking things, but in this case I can't.

Would you be able to get me the data and reproducer via your esri contact whose name begins with V?

Failing that could you make a reproducer using the sample data that comes with the API?  I'm thinking that the sample that dynamically adds usa_raster.tif would be a good starting point.

Does that make sence?
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Really!  I'm usually very good at breaking things, but in this case I can't.

Would you be able to get me the data and reproducer via your esri contact whose name begins with V?

Failing that could you make a reproducer using the sample data that comes with the API?  I'm thinking that the sample that dynamically adds usa_raster.tif would be a good starting point.

Does that make sence?
Got it! I think the fact that usa_raster.tif is an image, and not raw (NGA) data that must be dynamically rendered, might have something to do with it. I mentioned that I could not reproduce it with tiled layers. I'll contact V about it; have a way to get it to V.  I'll refer V to this post for his knowledge.
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Mark,

It just done on me that V already has three of the map package files I wanted to share with you (Unless he's already gotten rid of them, but doubt it). Make contact to see if V still does. If not, I can re-share them via a shared folder on Drop Box.

Carlos
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
I was just told by ESRI support that this issue is a bug on the Linux core libraries (I may have forgotten to mention that this issue was seen in an RHELS 6.3 app :o).

I've also been told that they're trying to get a fix to it by the summer release.

Good Luck ('cause I'd like it to work)!
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
It's actually a core rendering issue with OpenGL which happens to be how we render things in Linux.  You can actually make it flicker in Windows too if you switch the RenderEngine (however I don't encourage that).

As support say, we are aiming to fix this in the next release.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

I've seen the fix for this.  Looking promising that this will be in the next release.

Mark