Select to view content in your preferred language

ARCGISRUNTIMESDKJAVA_1_0 environment variable not set up when installing JAVA SDK

05-10-2012 04:10 PM
HunterMayer
New Contributor
I installed the Java Runtime SDK 10.1 pre-release on Windows 7 and this "ARCGISRUNTIMESDKJAVA_1_0" environment variable did not get set up at all.

All it did was keep me from running the samples right out of the box from the shortcut put in the programs menu. It is a minor nuisance once I recognized it. I set one up and the sample jar ran fine after that.

It happened to a coworker as well. So it is not an isolated case, but just in case anyone else runs into it. Just set the variable to your path. Mine was "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS SDKs\Java1.0"

I don't know if it was intentional or not (i.e., by design) to not set that. I deduced it from the error running the jar via the java -jar <jar filename> at a command/shell prompt.

Hope that helps someone looking for answers... Does this belong in a different forum? (please feel free to move it) I never can tell, I rarely post.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MaryHarvey
Esri Contributor
Thank you for the information. We are surprised you have had this problem and will investigate this shortly.
Mary
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Occasional Contributor III
While you're at it, I also noticed that the installer for the Java prerelease does not properly set the expected resources path of its Message Processor component in Linux. Linux is very case-sensitive when it comes to file paths.
0 Kudos
EricBader
Regular Contributor II
While you're at it, I also noticed that the installer for the Java prerelease does not properly set the expected resources path of its Message Processor component in Linux. Linux is very case-sensitive when it comes to file paths.

As for this, after install, you need to manually source the init_sdk_java.sh script. Are you saying that this script still doesn't set up your env and paths correctly?
Thanks for clarification.
0 Kudos
CarlosColón-Maldonado
Occasional Contributor III
As for this, after install, you need to manually source the init_sdk_java.sh script. Are you saying that this script still doesn't set up your env and paths correctly?
Thanks for clarification.

Correct! I submitted a support incident report (1046518) through my customer portal and was replied to as this being a bug and that the rep will report it. So, I wondered if the final release addressed it (the post is still in "Assigned" state).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16078[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
EricBader
Regular Contributor II
Correct! I submitted a support incident report (1046518) through my customer portal and was replied to as this being a bug and that the rep will report it. So, I wondered if the final release addressed it (the post is still in "Assigned" state).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16078[/ATTACH]

My apologies, Carlos.
Yes, this has been addressed at Final. We need to update the status on our end.
0 Kudos
FengZhang2
Occasional Contributor
On Windows, after install the Java Runtime SDK, you may need to reboot the system before creating a Runtime SDK project. This will make sure the ARCGISRUNTIMESDKJAVA_1_0 will be added to the project environment variables list.

I installed the Java Runtime SDK 10.1 pre-release on Windows 7 and this "ARCGISRUNTIMESDKJAVA_1_0" environment variable did not get set up at all.

All it did was keep me from running the samples right out of the box from the shortcut put in the programs menu. It is a minor nuisance once I recognized it. I set one up and the sample jar ran fine after that.

It happened to a coworker as well. So it is not an isolated case, but just in case anyone else runs into it. Just set the variable to your path. Mine was "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS SDKs\Java1.0"

I don't know if it was intentional or not (i.e., by design) to not set that. I deduced it from the error running the jar via the java -jar <jar filename> at a command/shell prompt.

Hope that helps someone looking for answers... Does this belong in a different forum? (please feel free to move it) I never can tell, I rarely post.
0 Kudos