Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Maps SDK for Java headless

10-31-2023 12:13 PM
EricDurbin
New Contributor II

Is it possible to run the ArcGIS Maps SDK for Java and or JavaFX in a headless/sever environment or do I need a desktop with a display and graphics card? If so are there any examples of doing this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @EricDurbin 

An app you create doesn't have to display a map in a UI, there is lots of functionality in the API which will work headless and I've recently written examples of applications which run on a Raspberry Pi for collecting sensor data for example (beta release for Arm Linux).  

It would be helpful if you could tell me a little more about what you are doing.  The license agreement for the Maps SDKs doesn't typically allow you to put the API behind a Spring micro service for example - its an API aimed at desktop applications.

If you give me a little more information about what you are trying to achieve, we can guide you to a good solution.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
EricDurbin
New Contributor II

Maps SDKs doesn't typically allow you to put the API behind a Spring micro service for example

That is similar to what I was hoping to accomplish.  I wasn't aware of that stipulation in the license agreement and can't seem to find it. Can you point me to that please?

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

This page talks about using the Maps SDK in a service.

I think the best approach to help you, is if you can give some details on what you are trying to achieve and we can guide you to a good solution.

0 Kudos