Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Java Map Service

03-06-2013 11:33 PM
EdwardChew
Deactivated User
Hi,

I am very much use to using ArcGIS Flex, WPF, API to connect to map service through REST API to connect to map services and query geometry information.

However, now, my requirement is to use Java SE 1.6 to connect to the map service. I realize that I am unable to use the normal REST type of service calls, instead have to use SOAP protocol using the MapServerBindingStub class. That uses the Java Web ADF which I am not very familiar with.

I like to check, is there an equivalent for Java API calls similar to Flex and WPF using REST? If not, is there any API to get the geometry object using Java SE. I can read the layers using queryFeatureData, but unable to get the geometry information of the specific row.

i'm using ArcGIS Server for Java 10.0, Java SE 1.6, using arcgis_agsws_stubs.jar, arcgis_ws_runtime.jar.

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Edward,

I'm wondering if your question is placed in the correct forum?

What product are you using?  I'm thinking you might be using the Web ADF for Java product.

Let me know and I'll forward your post to a place where you'll get a better answer.

Thanks

Mark
0 Kudos
EricBader
Regular Contributor II

However, now, my requirement is to use Java SE 1.6 to connect to the map service. I realize that I am unable to use the normal REST type of service calls, instead have to use SOAP protocol using the MapServerBindingStub class. That uses the Java Web ADF which I am not very familiar with.

Actually, the SOAP API for Java, also known as ArcGIS Java Web Services (AgsJWS API), and the Java ADF are two completely different solutions. However, both are SOAP-based, not REST. Also, the Java ADF is no longer recommended, and has been deprecated. By the way, if in fact you HAPPEN to need to use a SOAP API for integration with ArcGIS, AgsJWS is certainly a great API.

Having said all that, what you would be looking for is the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Java product. This is the comparable Java REST API that aligns with the Flex and WPF RESTful APIs. The difference however is that this Java API is not intended for use in the "web tier", in Web servers. It is purely a desktop Java client API that connects to ArcGIS Online, Portal and ArcGIS Server services.

Another good option for Java developers looking to access ArcGIS services via REST is the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android.

Does this help?
0 Kudos