2 layers, points and polygons. If point is inside the polygon, replace point layer with polygon?

Jump to solution
10-28-2020 05:46 AM
MatthewMcMillan1
New Contributor III

I have a shapefile that plots with points and another that plots parcels using polygons. I'm trying to figure out how to display the points as polygons, i.e. if the point is within the polygon, it creates a polygon and replaces the point. They are in two separate layers. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would select by location where the point intersects the polygons, switch the selection then export the points as a new shapefile.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

a shapefile or feature class can only be a point, line or polygon, not a combination of them.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcMillan1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply David. Is there another way to convert the point shapefile to a polygon shapefile?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

are you in pro, arcmap or agol?

you could buffer the points into a circle, or then turn that into another shape etc. but it really depends what you need to achieve.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcMillan1
New Contributor III

I'm in Pro.

I've pasted an image below to clarify. I've turned the two layers on. What I want is to assign the polygon surrounding the point to replace the point in the layer containing the points. The end goal is when I select the layer which used to contain points, it displays the parcel polygon instead.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I would select by location where the point intersects the polygons, switch the selection then export the points as a new shapefile.

0 Kudos
MatthewMcMillan1
New Contributor III

Thank you David!