Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster merge order changes with export of Mosaic Dataset image and/or Mosaic Rasters raster function

09-12-2023 08:24 AM
Labels (1)
py4wildlife
New Contributor III

Hello, I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2, but the issue described below has happened many years back too.

Has anyone attempted to add 3 or more rasters to a Mosaic Dataset, specifying a specific order of display in the tool, and then export the combined Image (from TOC) to make a single GRID raster only to find the order changed?  I am working with 7 images.

The other method I attempted was to use Analysis Tab>Raster Functions>Mosaic Rasters, also specifying a display order and "First" as the blend operation. The temporary output it puts in the TOC is shown as a single file. But, if you export the temp raster it mysteriously reorders the rasters in the output.

I included two example images: One is extracted rasters with their polygon boundaries shown, in the display order as desired using either method of mosaicking. 

The other image shows the exported mosaic output, using both methods, finalized in the incorrect merge order. 

It seems this is a straightforward concept. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Thanks.

Z. Smith, Ph.D.
GIS Analyst
0 Kudos
0 Replies