Select to view content in your preferred language

Inconsistent extents for rasters.

12-27-2016 09:07 AM
TylerSelves
New Contributor

I have downloaded a few raster's with a .gxf file name from:

USGS Online Publications Directory 

I had to download the zip files, extract them and then change the file names form _gxf to .gxf. in order for them to work.

Anything with _1000ag have no problems projecting on the map but the files neksok_cba, neksok_final, and neksok_iso all have projection problems with the message:

Invalid raster dataset. failed to create raster layer.

or

warning inconsistent extent. one or more of the added layers has an extent that is not consistent with the associated ox spatial reference information. Then I get the Geographic Coordinate systems warning/Transformations box which seems to be unhelpful.

I also go to the properties after adding the files but am unable to change the coordinate systems on them. (there is no tab or button anywhere).

- After I add the data for any of the neksok files they separate to .aux and .ovr files in there original file folder.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

What coordinate system do the other files have? A Mercator or transverse Mercator definition based on a GCS called DNAG? If so, try changing the neksok coordinate system to match using the Define Projection Tool or the raster's property page. I downloaded neksok_final.gxf. It says it's using a geographic coordinate system called DNAG, in decimal degrees. However, the reported extents and coordinates of the raster are definitely in a projected coordinate system. 

I know the original DNAG map used a Mercator or transverse Mercator (I think TM) definition based on a spherical model of the earth.

Melita

0 Kudos
TylerSelves
New Contributor

I guess my problem is that arc dosent alow the rasters to change there spatial ref or coordinate system. It it using a GCS_DNAG and the rest of my stuff is in GCS_NORTH_AMERICAN_1983.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, it should, although you might get a warning. Make sure that you have write permissions in the folder where the raster is (and possibly in the folders above it. Here's some more info on the DNAG coordinate system, including the projected coordinate system parameters: https://community.esri.com/thread/68772 

Melita

0 Kudos