FMV and the latest Go Pro Max

Jump to solution
03-14-2022 12:40 PM
KathleenHoenke
Occasional Contributor

Hello, we are looking to purchase a Go Pro Max taking video from a boat as we go downstream. We want to know if Go Pro videos are compatible with the Full Motion Video (FMV) extension and if there is a lot of post processing that would need to be done to use it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

@KathleenHoenke I doubt that the Go Pro Max would support MISB as it is a consumer grade camera. I might suggest a Garmin VIRB Action Camera. There is a good article that discusses these and ArcGIS here 

The Garmin VIRB cameras record GPS and camera orientation data with the video.  This position and orientation metadata enables FMV for ArcGIS to locate the sensor on the map, and if the camera footprint (field of view) is aimed toward the ground, the moving video footprint can also be displayed in ArcGIS. 

Cheers

Gordon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello @KathleenHoenke 

With regards to any digital camera and support in FMV, it requires that encoded video metadata adheres to the Motion Imagery Standards Board (MISB) Video Moving Target Indicator and Track Metadata standard (ST 0903).

If you have the correct metadata then you can use the video multiplexer tool   which combines a video stream file and an associated metadata file synchronised by a time stamp. The Meta data required is here 

Good Luck

Gordon

0 Kudos
KathleenHoenke
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Gordon. Is there an easy way to find out if a device is already set up to encode video metadata in this way? Do you recommend contacting the company?

0 Kudos
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

@KathleenHoenke I doubt that the Go Pro Max would support MISB as it is a consumer grade camera. I might suggest a Garmin VIRB Action Camera. There is a good article that discusses these and ArcGIS here 

The Garmin VIRB cameras record GPS and camera orientation data with the video.  This position and orientation metadata enables FMV for ArcGIS to locate the sensor on the map, and if the camera footprint (field of view) is aimed toward the ground, the moving video footprint can also be displayed in ArcGIS. 

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos