Select to view content in your preferred language

Introduce yourself!

07-16-2024 12:13 PM
Kate_Fickas
Esri Contributor
3 9 727

Welcome to Esri IRIS! We are so glad to have you here and want to know who you are.

Please share a bit about yourself and, if you want, share a favorite image, point cloud, map - anything that inspires you!

Here are some questions to get your started:

1. Who are you?
  2. Where are you from?
  3. Do you use imagery?
  4. What are you most excited or curious about with imagery?
  5. Post a screen grab of your favorite imagery or map! Don't have one? Check out the Landsat Explorer to search the world!

I'll go first:

Kate Fickas from Eugene, Oregon. I use imagery every day and can't get enough! I love using imagery to help tell stories about our planet. Below is a screen shot from the Landsat Explorer over Lake Mackay, Australia that I love:

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.08.29 PM.png

9 Comments
MeganEngel
Frequent Contributor

Megan from Nashville, TN.  I use imagery daily, and am obsessed.  I enjoying using imagery cause you can see so much, I particularly like seeing change through time.  When it comes to maf imagery or map, that is tough and a real toss up between viewing floodplain scar elevation data, and just look at Carolina Bays in the SE.  Below (from  Landsat Explorer) are some Carolina Bays along the coastal plain in N. Carolina.    

MeganEngel_0-1721396968226.png

jsfanjul
Occasional Contributor

Hi all!

I'm Jaime (not Jamie) this is a joke, my English teacher calls me that way 😁. .

I'm from the beautiful Spain. I live in Madrid, but I come from the green part of Spain, Asturias, in the north.

I have been working at Esri Spain for 3 years, but I have always liked the whole topic of images, satellites, etc., so little by little I am specializing in that.

The image, is about Filomena snow storm in 2021 

jsfanjul_0-1721807720996.jpeg

Elizabeth
Esri Contributor

Hello World!!!🌍

Elizabeth Ashley Menezes here from sunny Los Angeles, California. ☀️🌊🌴 I use imagery all day err' day!😎 I love all imagery, but have a special place in my heart for SAR imagery💕 I use imagery to monitor changes in the environment due to impacts from climate change and natural disasters. 🌀🌋🌎🔥 

I created this map by using machine learning to predict lost forest biomass from the 2023 Canadian wildfires to estimate released CO2 emissions with satellite data! 🔥🌲Specifically by combining GEDI data and derivative products from Landsat and SAR imagery as well as a DEM.

See how it's done here in this video or learn tutorial

ImageAnalysis-SARComputeSARIndiciesAndOtherFeatures4BiomassPredictedResults-Elizabeth06.gif

SheridanMoore
New Explorer

Hi Friends!

My name is Sheridan and I am from North Carolina. I have a PhD in hyperspectral remote sensing and am a spectroscopy nerd. I really love the squiggly lines! 

I did a lot of imagery "stuff" in my previous life as an academic and now I am the Imagery & Remote Sensing Practice Lead for the Professional Services sector of Esri. That is basically a fancy way of saying that if you want to implement some work that is imagery related, you will probably cross my path in some way/shape/form! 

I am most excited to meet all the imagery users and help to build the best platform for you all! 

If you'd like to connect, here's my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sheridan-moore/ and my booking link: Book time with Sheridan Moore

Pic of Mars because that's where my heart is: 

Sheridan_Moore_0-1722973052437.png

BertjanZwerver
New Explorer

Hi,

My name is Bertjan Zwerver. Living in the north of the Netherlands. Esri Nederland. 
I work every day with imagery and rasters. Also pointcloud data and 3D cross my days regular. 
ArcGIS Reality and ArcGIS Pro using every day. 
This image tells a lot. I expect that all of you have seen this one. 3D mesh is produced by me:

BertjanZwerver_0-1726062779437.png

asanjose_satellogic
Occasional Contributor

Hello there!

This is Tony from Madrid, Spain. I am Geographer and I'm working as Remote Sensing Engineer at Satellogic. You can contact me in LinkedIn.

I'm currently the Technical manager of the Constellation-as-a-Service agreement with the Government of Albania and we are working closely with Esri providing an ArcGIS Image Dedicated architecture to perform mosaics of multispectral and hyperspectral imagery, WMTS and dynamic services, Land Use and Land Cover classification, detect objects using Deep Learning and creating web maps and web apps for different stakeholders. This is and example of the webapp created to support Emergency Services during the floods in the north of the country: https://satellogic-us.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=03e5b3f009794c56bb315c044f46e1...

Check an image of Madrid metropolitan area (50sqkm) acquired by Newsat18 on February 20th, 2022:

20220220_105912_SN18_L3_SR_MS_preview.png

DryCreekEng
Frequent Contributor

Hello fellow imagery friends,

I am Natalie from Washington State. I started my business 6 years ago as a consultant to help farmers convert their data from paper to digital products using ESRI software. I absolutely love how the field of remote sensing has grown over the last number of years, and I can now purchase 0.3m resolution imagery for clients at a reasonable price. When I started in this field 20 years ago we were excited to look at 30m elevation data.  This picture shows historical floodplain channels in hop fields that are planted next to a river. hop fields.pnghop fields ndvi.png

BrittanyOBaker
New Explorer

I'm Brittany Baker, based in Canberra, Australia - but part of a global team at ICEYE - here to help answer questions and learn from others in this group. I love remote sensing and that's why I work for a satellite imagery company!

ICEYE owns the world’s largest commerical synthetic-aperture radar (SAR) constellation. Our data can be collected day or night, and even through cloud cover, delivering monitoring capabilities for any location on earth. We have some great tutorials - see: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/detect-ships-with-sar-imagery/

We also combine imagery with multiple auxiliary information sources to provide near real-time data for flood depth, extent, and duration, within hours of a given flood peak. You can visit the Living Atlas to see our active flood events dashboard and sample data: https://arcg.is/1WS8Wy0

Ganges_Delta_ICEYE_03_2020_thumbnail.jpg_width=1000&height=673&name=Ganges_Delta_ICEYE_03_2020_thumbnailR5_ESRI_%20Lewin_Brzeski.png_width=1000&height=1000&name=R5_ESRI_%20Lewin_Brzeski

CanserinaKurnia
Esri Regular Contributor

Greeting all,

I am Canserina Kurnia - A Senior Solution Engineer with Education team at Esri.  I also lead outreach efforts for imagery and remote sensing using Esri technology to the education community.  I am based in Redlands, California.   I have a passion for working with imagery data and find many of these images to be incredibly captivating, almost like pieces of art

If you’d like to connect, here’s my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/canserina-kurnia-6935002/ 

Recently, there has been a wildfire engulfing the mountains near where I live. I am monitoring the situation using the Wildfire Aware app, from Living Atlas.  The combination of imagery and additional data shown in the app is fascinating, showing the GIS and Imagery layers integration.  Here is today's example of the LINE fire status (based on the posted date of this comment).

Line fire 10/2/2024Line fire 10/2/2024