Select to view content in your preferred language

Work from home, server lag times for ArcGIS users and Web Service load times

05-21-2020 12:13 PM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello all,

Server and ArcGIS server management and configuration is certainly not my comfort zone, so I'm hoping you could offer some expert advice/tips on reducing loading times for users opening and working on MXDs from home, accessing the central license server across the internet (secured VPN connection), and accessing feature services through the same means (which they would normally access via an intranet).

I'm currently unaware of the exact specs and configuration of the stack, but would find any generic or specific advice to this very generic question immensely helpful.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MathiasGieser
Emerging Contributor

One thing I have done in the past is to check out a license.  This eliminates the software from having to validate the license every so often but also allows the user to go "offline" or at least off the VPN network if they need to. I believe this is especially helpful with ArcGIS Pro since it does more validation.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Outside of the license suggestion, which is worth a try and may help some, there isn't much you can do regarding loading web services.  Since you are working with MXDs, I assume this is ArcMap.

ArcMap is an infuriatingly serial application, including how it enumerates and touches data sources when opening MXDs.  Even if layers are turned off, ArcMap will still try to touch the data source when opening to determine whether that data source is broken.  So, if someone has an MXD with 50 layers but they only need 10, those extra 40 layers will add to the load time.  When the data sources are on local disks, that extra load time is trivial, but that extra load time can really add up with data sources are either on network file share or latent GIS Servers.

If someone doesn't want to remove them completely from the MXD but doesn't need them, create a new data frame and put the unused layers in it.  It has been years since I worked with ArcMap, but I had a vague memory that moving unneeded layers out of the activate data frame helped speed up load times.

0 Kudos