webgisdr Cannot Access .agssite File

03-02-2023 10:53 AM
PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We have a single machine deployment of 10.6.1 that we are trying to backup before upgrading. The webgisdr utility is failing after successfully backing up Server and Data Store, stating that it cannot access the .agssite file. for that backup (in the shared location). A few minutes later, a directory (WebGISSiteXXXXXXXXX) appears in the shared location with only a 'portal' folder in it (approx. 1GB). Nothing ever appears in the backup location (Same location on E: drive, but different folder).

The user which runs the utility and the service account both have full permissions to both the shared and backup location. The server has plenty of resources and there are no additional errors thrown beyond the "Cannot access the file E:\TempBackups\WebGISSiteXXXXXXXXXXXX\server\XXXXXXXXX\DATE.agssite." (X's are unique values and the DATE is shortly after the execution date/time). The configuration file has been verified as properly formatted by ESRI Support. We have had network monitor the process and have ruled out any firewall restrictions and antivirus software interference.

It appears as though webgisdr can't access this folder because it is not being created by webgisdr.

Anyone have any ideas what may be preventing this tool from completing successfully?

Thanks!

Peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III
Did you inspect your webgisdr backup with 7zip ? The backup of the ArcGIS Server may have failed and was not included in the webgisdr backup for some reason. Double check the ArcGIS Server that was backed logs if that the case. It may tell you the reason.

0 Kudos
PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @NicolasGIS,

The backup created by webgisdr is not zipped (maybe because it didn't complete?). The server logs have a message saying that the "Export operation completed. Site Configurations were exported to 'E:\TempBackups\WEBGISSiteXXXXXXXXXX\server\DATE.agssite'". So it is saying that it exported the same file that webgisdr can't find and which never appears. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Peter

No logs in the Portal at least at Verbose.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

So the user running the DR tool is not the same as the service account running ArcGIS Server? The DR tool creates a parent directory, and then asks the components to create their backups under the parent directory. Then, the DR tool packages the backup into the webgissite file. I'd set up ProcMon to monitor file traffic, filtering for the E:\TempBackups directory, and you'll probably find an Access Denied error somewhere in the requests, indicating something either can't write, or can't read, from a directory.

0 Kudos
PeterDalrymple
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, @JonathanQuinn! I have tried running this utility using the service account running ArcGIS Server and as myself with full admin privileges. Most recently, I ran this with ProcMon capturing and I don't see any ACCESS DENIED results when filtering by "E:\TempBackups". During the process, the only ACCESS DENIED.  results I am seeing are from postgres.exe processes for Read at 'HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters' and Write at 'E:arcgisdatastore\pgdata\pg_stat_tmp\global.tmp'.

The server logs still have entries stating that the Export operation completed and exported to the .agssite file in 'E:\TempBackups' and that it deleted temp dirs at 'C:\Users\SERVICEACCOUNT\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp-ags-export-XXXXXXXXXX'.

Portal Logs have this error: "Failed to export site. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service", but have also thrown the "Failed to export site. E:\TempBackups\WebGISSite1677886113143\portal (The system cannot find the path specified)" error, though not every time the tool is run. The server has 16GB of RAM, 8 processors, and 40GB of free storage. E: drive has 70+GB free. So I am surprised by the first storage error. Most recently, I did get a dataStore folder in the E:\TempBackups folder, but this has typically produced only a portal folder. So there is some variability in the output which first appeared today.

Also, running Export Site from server admin succeeds in writing the .agssite file to the E: drive.

Thanks again for your help,

Peter

0 Kudos