Select to view content in your preferred language

Best Practice to Migration 10.5.1 Server to a new Machine

04-06-2018 06:07 AM
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Frequent Contributor

I have ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 installed on a machine1, I want to migrate this installation to machine2 and then remove the original install on machine1.

what is the recommended procedure to accomplish this?

All Services are hosted on a shared network drive not on the local server machine.

Tags (3)
16 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

It was my reading of the 10.5.1 deprecation notice.

Support for cluster functionality
Esri is announcing the deprecation of the cluster functionality within the ArcGIS Server component
of ArcGIS Enterprise. Instead we recommend creating separate ArcGIS Server sites where multiple
clusters would have been used previously. While we are not announcing a specific future release
where cluster functionality will be removed, the use of multiple clusters for new deployment is
strongly discouraged and existing deployments are advised to migrate away from use of clusters as
part of ongoing maintenance and upgrades.
Note: this does not affect the ability to create multi-machine sites.
ArcGIS Server sites with multiple machines continue to be fully supported.

vs. 10.6 deprecation notice

Support for Multiple Clusters with ArcGIS Server
ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.x will be the last major release series to support multiple clusters with ArcGIS
Server. This was previously deprecated at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 and we are n
ow announcing the
official removal of that feature from the product in the next major release. Users with multiple
clusters are strongly encouraged to migrate to a different deployment pattern to avoid disruption at
later releases.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Frequent Contributor

Hey Jonathan,

the blog does not mention anything about the SSL/TLS certs in IIS Webserver in regards to the migration.

will the same cert still work or will modifications be needed to adjust for the new machine name?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Changing the front-facing URLs of an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment isn't supported, so the certificate should still be valid as it's created with a CN or SAN that includes the FQDN of the front-facing URL. If you needed to migrate the machine that is creating the front-end, (web adaptor, for example), then you can still use your existing certificate but you'll need to work with your IT staff to update the hostname of the new machine to match the old machine name.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Frequent Contributor

machine 1 is Windows Server 2012 R2, however machine 2 is windows server 2016.... is this not compatible?

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, there are no problems if the OS versions are different.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Frequent Contributor

Johnathon can we take this to private message, I got conflicting info from a tech support analyst from ESRI

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Just sent you a message.

0 Kudos