Select to view content in your preferred language

What skills does a GIS analyst need to do her/his work?

08-18-2023 04:08 PM
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

What skills does a GIS analyst need to do her/his work?

A GIS analyst needs the following skills:

1. Be familiar with the concepts and terms of GIS.

2. Should have the ability to analyze spatial and non spatial data.

3. Be familiar with GIS software and have analytical thinking.

4. At least should have the programming ability of one or two languages.

5. GIS analyst should present his/her analysis in the form of maps and graphs to executives because the managers and executives do not have enough time to read the narrative reports.

14 Replies
MrRamonG
Regular Contributor

Agreed Devarsi. In fact, as an analyst, all I need to do my job may be access to aerial imagery and rich feature data. Skills to find spatial relationships that I possess as a GIS analyst aren't necessary for the programmer, and programming skills aren't necessary for me to complete my spatial analysis.

Layer Slayer
0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. As you said, It depends to the type of job description and responsibility.

What is a GIS Analyst? 

Typical Requirements For a GIS Analyst Include

0 Kudos
BriantFabela
Occasional Contributor

I have to agree with @MrRamonG.

Based on my experience doing GIS in local government, a GIS Analyst should have all the basic abilities of a GIS Technician, which include editing abilities, basic terminology, and a good grasp of basic geoprocessing tools. But what differentiates a GIS Analyst from a Technician is their Problem-Solving abilities. I'd expect any analyst to be able to troubleshoot an issue, and have basic googling abilities to at least try to solve said problem. An analyst should also have basic communication skills, since you'll be solving problems for the users of your GIS products and services.

Additionally, basic knowledge in python, SQL, and arcade are essential now. Being able to query and filter data, create conditional statements, and create new fields with existing data are part of your problem-solving tool set. If an analyst can create programs or notebooks, that is great, but ideally that should qualify you to be a GIS developer, not just an analyst.

0 Kudos
Faiez
by
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all!

I found Find a job very useful in regards to the job description and position requirements.

Best,

Khalil

0 Kudos
WilberAmpereza
New Contributor

Thank u very much ArcGis for the knowledge 

0 Kudos