Mid-career path...

08-22-2014 01:19 PM
CWalz
by
New Contributor II

I have over 20 years experience in mapping and modeling in the petroleum industry using industry-specific software. I would really like to expand my fields of interest and my knowledge base. To this end I have begun working with a couple of non-profs in different fields and learning what interests me - and where my skill set really is - and getting some training in ESRI/Arcmap.

If I wanted to 'up' my credentials in order to procure more paying contract work from more varied clients, do you think it would be more beneficial to pursue a graduate education in GIS (either a graduate certificate or a master's degree) or would it be more useful to gain an ESRI certificate?

To employers, do either of these matter, or is it more the case that I just need to gain more varied experience through training and volunteering?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattSheehan
Occasional Contributor III

I'd say expand your skills. We look for people with skills which fit project requirements. Masters degrees are often academic, and not applied (unlike many of my colleagues, i forced my adviser to accept an applied Masters degree which set me in good stead, but took 3 years to complete). So certificate, degree? Most important are what you know and can do.   

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I agree with Matt Sheehan - it is important to show what you can do over having a degree or certification.  I say this as many employers don't know what value the certification brings (unfortunately) or even what it is, be it ESRI's certification, GISP, or others.

If you have a specific field in mind, I would try to network with GIS professionals in that field to see if a degree or certification is desired.  Note that GIS is broad, so this can vary depending on which specific field you are in.  For example, in the Public Sector, many mid-level and above jobs require a degree in GIS as a prerequisite (which is not the case typically in the Private Sector).

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos