Looking for a part time GIS job with no GIS work experience.

02-25-2016 07:41 PM
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

First time posting on GEOnet. Let me know if this is not the right place to post...I am looking for a part time GIS job with no GIS work experience. I am currently in Community College to get A.S. degree in GIS. I am currently in GIS 201 course. I was wondering if any of you members can assist me on finding a part time GIS job with gis education of only up to gis 201. I know about GIS Internship program but they all require me to submit a resume and I have not had any job for 3 years since I have been cooking off and on with various restaurants and fast food joints. To make the long story short, how do I get my feet wet into the beginning of GIS career with no gis work experience and just GIS education up to GIS 201. Thank you for reading.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AmandaManning1
New Contributor

Go to conferences. Even if it's not in the exact GIS field you want to work in, do it. URISA has a conference in the fall for transportation in DC. There are a lot of local people that go there. URISA usually has a student cost. Being a member of your local URISA group will also help. Their student membership is usually around $75 for the national level. I'm not sure what the local group would cost if you went just through them. URISA members are also able to look at other job opportunities and school options. Also email or drop into the office hours of your professors. Depending on where you go to school they might also have an email group for posting GIS internships and jobs. Any functions at school for the GIS students, go to that. There are usually company scouts at that, you can at least talk to them about what they are looking for. Over all NETWORK. You will also want a portfolio of you work for interviews. Even if they are school projects, show them.

0 Kudos
MarkGrossman
New Contributor

I am planning on attending an all day conference next week which is Loudoun County GIS Conference. Should be fun and interesting !

0 Kudos
Muqit_Zoarder
Occasional Contributor

Hi, besides you can also start as a freelancer. You can look for a GIS related job in www.upwork.com ..

Thanks

MarkGrossman
New Contributor

I like this idea... Any tips on how to be a freelancer ?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Mark,

The best bet is to look up what freelancing opportunities are out there by browsing through sites like upwork.com (there are plenty of other sites too). Look through those opportunities, see what you think you may be able to qualify for, and apply. I have run through a couple of these opportunities before and they are very hit-and-miss. Sometimes they want a lot of work for little pay and sometimes they want just anything. You just have to see what is out there and take-what-you-can-get sometimes, unfortunately.

But, the freelance jobs are great places to gain experience in many areas of GIS.

0 Kudos