Digitizing as a side gig

Jump to solution
09-11-2015 12:58 PM
NorthPark
New Contributor III

I am looking for a side gig to make some additional money. I don't want to go into business and offer GIS consulting, but rather just looking for GIS work like digitizing, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this or is this kind of work all farmed out overseas? I have looked on Amazon Mechanical Turk, but not really found anything. Any ideas or suggestions?

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked at something like Upwork or Elance?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any photogrammetry experience and would you be willing to re-locate?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you might want to share this on gis jobs GIS Jobs

0 Kudos
NorthPark
New Contributor III

I have moved this to GIS jobs. I should clarify, I am not looking for a new job. I love my job with the Water District and am not leaving, just looking for a way to make a little money on the side.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

ensure you don't have a job conflict between your current job and a side gig job

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I'll second what Robert suggested - be sure to check that their is not a conflict on interest with your existing job.  I was surprised when I moved from the Private Sector to the Public Sector last year just what is considered a conflict of interest, as some of the "conflicts" are not obvious and many of the resulting constraints are very limiting.  In the private world, what is considered a conflict is usually things like working for a competitor.  In the public world, it is much more broad and limiting.

Furthermore, many municipalities use a more strict standard - essentially "potential perceived conflict of interest", which can be interpreted to mean one cannot do any side work in any way related to ones field.  So depending upon your current organizations standards, you may be entirely precluded from doing any side work in the GIS field.

Be sure to also check if your organization requires disclosure paperwork.  It may be for them that doing digitizing is OK, but you will have to get authorization first and then do regular disclosures.

As a practical example of this, when I won some prizes from ESRI a few months ago as part of the GeoNet Launch contest, I ended up turning down some of them as the City I work for would have considered it a potential conflict as the total value would have exceeded the limit my organization has set.

Chris Donohue, GISP

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. The reason I brought that up to Eric's question was because a few years ago there was a online that had put together where you can ask for GIS  work. I think it was called Elance ( https://www.elance.com/r/jobs/q-gis ) and they have these gis jobs where everyone can put up for any kind of job to work.

I was considering to do that but I decided to back off because I am working for the government and did not want them to find out.  It is nice to do work and help someone else to do the job done....

That's the reason I mentioned about the word job conflict.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

In the private sector, I've noticed there are sometimes "first right/shop right" clauses - say you patented a GIS algorithm and happened to work for a GIS shop that had this in effect - they might be entitled to use the patent; they may even own the patent... Just something to keep in mind!

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked at something like Upwork or Elance?

0 Kudos
NorthPark
New Contributor III

That is exactly what I was looking for. So far I haven't found much in the way of side work I'm looking for, but it's a start.

As for the concerns about conflict, I have researched this and there are no issues with my employer.

Thank you everyone for the input.

0 Kudos