wildcard complex construction

12-09-2013 09:45 AM
AnnaFijalkowska
New Contributor
hi,
I.d like to run a model that:
1. imports all polygon layers from a group of layers off different types (it's ok) - i have all in FD in geodatabase
2. i'd like to import only FEW FC puting thair exact names (I have a list of 30). I tried to use wildcard in iterator but I can't set it multiple values (like OR in SQL).
Is it possible to put multiple values to wildcard or to choose FC by name in Model Builder?
Regards
Anna
0 Kudos
3 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Sure you can, did you see this informative page below?:

Examples of using iterators in ModelBuilder
Desktop » Geoprocessing » Tool reference » ModelBuilder toolbox » Iterator toolset
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00400000001n000000

Sounds like you may want to use Iterate Multivalue (see the subheading by that title)...also, there are many examples of in-line variable substitution if that's what you need to help you name the output on each iteration - also see more examples within the section starting here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/A_quick_tour_of_using_inline_variable_subs...
0 Kudos
AnnaFijalkowska
New Contributor
Dear Wayne,
Thank you for some ideas, the problem is I want to do different geoprocessing with some groups of layers, the only selection I can made is by name of FC.
With  Iterate Multivalue I think I have to use some sub-models (only one itereator possible in one model).
I'm afraid that another way is to write a python script with if...else statement.
Am I right or ther is another possibility without python scripting?
Anna
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
There's no way for me to say without more information.
If you have different geoprocessing operations, why not have different models?...and if you needed to run them both unattended (like overnight), you can either set up individual scheduled tasks, or a single task task set up to launch your models, say via a batch file-  as many different models as you need.  You could even set up a task to launch a Python script controlling run of your models.  It's up to you.
0 Kudos