While clipping data empty layer generated as output

04-27-2010 10:10 PM
Antonypaul_m
New Contributor
Hi Guru's

I was trying to clipp data from street layer based on one county. I have created tge county boundary as shape and run the clipping. But unfortunately it created empty layer as output with following error,

000117: Warning empty output generated

Source layer cordinate is GCS_NAD_83
Clipp layer Shp cordinate GCS_NAD_83

When I searched I am getting the following note from dekstop help,

Error code: 000117: Warning empty output generated.
Description:  The output created or modified has no featu
res. For instance, running the Delete Features or Delete Rows tools on a feature class or table would remove all the features and rows. A common occurrence of this warning occurs when the Extent (or XYDomain) environment has been set previously for a geographical distinct area. Since the Extent environment is used to limit the features used, an inappropriately set Extent environment could exclude all features.
Solution: If this warning is unexpected, check the Extent environment to ensure that it is appropriate for the data being used.

Could anybody please help me out

-Thanks
Antony
12 Replies
EricBrossman
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same problem with my data set.  I had converted raster data from USGS GAP data into polygons and I was clipping buffered polylines from the layers.  Everything was working fine until I went to clip another polyline and then I got the zero output warning.  As far as I know everything is set to WGS 1984(the data frame, datum, coordinate system).  I tried merging all the polygons into a single polygon but I still have a zero output.  I tried turning off the background geoprocessing and disabled the Windows Indexing Service but that did not work either.  Everything else said to check the Extent environments to see if everything looks right.  I do not have a lot of experience so I'm not sure what to look for but I have a feeling that my problem lies there.  It's unusual that everything would be working fine for days, carrying out the same processing, and then suddenly not work.  I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance, thanks again.

0 Kudos
JeremyMatt
New Contributor

I ran into this when I was trying to clip a polyline layer with a polygon.  I had a polyline selected that was outside the clip area.  Clearing the selection fixed the problem for me.

0 Kudos
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

I was misled while I had one datapoint (at the very edge of the extend) selected so the clip was empty 'cause it only clips what is selected ... took me a while. 🙂

0 Kudos