What makes Point features have invalid geometry

05-13-2016 06:52 AM
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I am trying to learn how to build a geometric network and want to include catchbasins and culverts in this network. However, when I go to build the network I get builder errors and all of these errors are bc my point features have invalid geometries. I am trying to understand what makes these point features invalid before I go and replace 5000 point features manually.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Are the points snapped to the network?

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

When I went to build the network I told it to snap all points within a specified feet of each other. So most of the points are snapped to my waterlines feature in the network

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you by any chance have multi-points which are different than points?

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

No they are all point features. That is one of the things I thought it may be too but it's not. I even created a new feature class which I made a point feature type and copied all the points into it but it still gives me 'invalid geometry' errors

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I think I may have just figured out a possible reason why these features are giving me an invalid geometry error.

I don't know if all these features were created in ArcMap. Some of them could have been created in another program and imported into ArcMap. Would this cause the invalid geometry error?

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Scot

Have you tried running the Repair Geometry tool? It should fix your error

but not really tell the cause.

Regards

Mervyn

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I've tried running the Repair Geometry tool on it and it doesn't fix the error. The only way I've found to fix the error so far is to go and manually place snap a new point onto the existing point and then delete the point that was giving me the error but I have over 5000 points that are giving me this error so was wondering if I could find out what cause the problem in the first place and then maybe could find a way to correct all 5000 of them through a geoprocessing tool rather than have to do it manually

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How about exporting all the points in your problematic feature class into a new point feature class and see if that fixes your geometry problems?  This could fix all the points at once.  Just a suggestion as I don't know if it will fix the issue until you test it.

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I haven't tried exporting out to a new feature class but I did copy all the features to a new Point feature class and that didn't work.

0 Kudos