What does this button do in an ArcPro 3.3 script tool?

2 weeks ago
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

With the recent upgrade to ArcPro 3.3 I have noticed a new button that has appeared when defining parameter labels, what does it do? If I add any text to it, then OK the dialogue it is forgotten and nothing appears to be stored anywhere? 

DuncanHornby_0-1718805215366.png

Tagging @KoryKramer , @ShitijMehta 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

when you leave the parameter and move away, doesn't a little "i" appear in a circle?

if you move the mouse back over it, a little popup appears which should show the contents of what you typed in there.  Useful for notations

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you are talking about the popup that occurs when the script tool is running as a tool, rather than me setting properties of parameters as shown in my first question, then yes the blue circle icon appears but nothing shows in the popup. Normally I set the text for those via the Edit metadata > Syntax >Dialog explanation.

What I show in my original question appears to do absolutely nothing, I wonder if it is functionality that they intend to implement in a future version of ArcPro?

0 Kudos
MargaretCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hello @DuncanHornby ,

The other comment is correct. This is a new way for custom tool developers to define Parameter Descriptions. So, when you open the tool, the text entered there should display when you hover on the i next to the parameter. However, the feature is not finalized.

I can confirm that the parameter description is discarded when you click OK to close the Tool Properties dialog. For now, you can continue using the metadata to edit the parameter descriptions using the method you outlined above. And we plan to update the Parameter Description option on the Tool Properties dialog in 3.4 or a feature release.

0 Kudos