Want to dissolve adjacent polygons but no common edges.

Jump to solution
05-08-2013 11:52 AM
HaoLiu1
New Contributor
I have a bunch of parcel data, I want to join the polygons basing on the same owner name.
Even they are not touched, I want merge them together, such a 100 feet tolerance. The purpose is to show the somebody's properties without too much separated lines.
Like this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24136[/ATTACH]
I have some programming experience, but just start to try to get the tool by python script, and tried arcgis add_in wizard.
If there is some idea about the script work flow, it will be really helpful!
0 Kudos
16 Replies
HaoLiu1
New Contributor
Here are pictures showing a sample input and output of the model.  My model used 100 feet as the aggregation distance.

Sorry that I am not very familiar with the iterator tool.
Is the iterator type the "Feature Classes", cause I cannot assign the owner name field and the output is odd default?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24210[/ATTACH]
Or it is "Field Value" iterator, but the output is odd default and cannot be the input of Aggregate tool, what's more, I cannot get the built in %Value% variable outputs (the light green-blue oval)?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24211[/ATTACH]

I really appreciate your help. I am still not totally understand it~
0 Kudos
HaoLiu1
New Contributor
Here are pictures showing a sample input and output of the model.  My model used 100 feet as the aggregation distance.

Oh, I got it, it is a loop of selection, feature selection.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Oh, I got it, it is a loop of selection, feature selection.

Sorry.  I forgot there are several iterator choices.  Yes, it is a feature selection iterator that would iterate selections based on your owner name values.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Sorry.  I forgot there are several iterator choices.  Yes, it is a feature selection iterator that would iterate selections based on your owner name values.

Desktop 10.1 Help: Iterate Feature Selection

ModelBuilder @ 10.x has become a very useful tool for personal workflows like this!
0 Kudos
HaoLiu1
New Contributor

Thank you very much, it is really helpful.
0 Kudos
TobyAlker-Jones
New Contributor
Hi there,

I am hoping to perform a similar task, though without the use of the 'Aggregate Polygon' tool (no ArcInfo!). I need to iterate through a polygon feature class and append all contiguous polygons and then see if there size is greater than 200 ha.

Any tips on how to achieve through python in ArcGis 9.3.1?

Cheers

Toby
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I am hoping to perform a similar task, though without the use of the 'Aggregate Polygon' tool (no ArcInfo!). I need to iterate through a polygon feature class and append all contiguous polygons and then see if there size is greater than 200 ha.

Any tips on how to achieve through python in ArcGis 9.3.1?

Have you considered using Dissolve (Data Management) followed by Select Layer By Attributes? Both of these tools are supported with a Basic license.
0 Kudos