Viewshed

Jump to solution
08-15-2013 08:25 AM
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
I have a Raster DEM and a shapefile with a single point.
Trying to run a Spatial Analyst Viewshed.
It keeps erroring out....

I point to the raster as input
Point to a Geodatabase and give the output a name
take the rest of defaults

Both DEM and Shapefile are same Coordinate system
Using 10.1

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Jay,

Review the section "Controlling the visibility analysis" within the topic Using Viewshed and Observer Points for visibility analysis.  It sounds like you need to use the OFFSETA field in your observer attribute table.  Keep in mind the offset units are assumed to be the same unit as your projection. 

Best,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Work in a folder with a name that doesn't contain spaces.
provide the inputs you are using
provide the exact error message
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
Location of Point file is in Geodatabase     C:\TEMP\ViewShedFeatures\Viewshed.mdb
Point file name is "ViewshedNorth" which is in the GDB above

The Raster DEM is located in SDE  "mg_sde.MG.DEM_LiDAR_ground_6_inch_fl_2012"

Input: Raster Above
Input Point: FC in the GDB above
OutputRaster: "C:\TEMP\ViewShedFeatures\Viewshed.mdb\North"   I point to the GDB above and give it a name "North"
No options selected (output above ground level blank or Z Factor = 0.304800609601219)
Checked Use Earth curvature

Error: RuntimeLocalServer.exe has stopped working (close the program)

See attachment below
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
something wrong with my DEM?  Confused here....
It should just output to a Raster in the GDB right?

EDIT:  I cant CLIP the raster either.....must be an issue with the raster...I have no idea...

Anyone have any thoughts?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Jay,

Try running it in the foreground.  That error is specific to background geoprocessing.

I would also recommend NOT using a personal geodatabase due to its size limitations.  See Types of geodatabases for additional details.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
Stupid question....how do I run it in the foreground?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
On the main menu go to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing options.  Uncheck "Enable" background processing.  🙂

I read a bit more... it should still work on PGDB.  The 2gb limit is on the .mdb file, and PGDB doesn't actually store the raster data.  It writes .img, jpg, jp2 files.  See  How raster data is stored and managed.  I would still personally use FGDB raster though. 

Eric
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
seems to be working now...how do I set it to start say 80 feet from the ground....say I had a tower and wanted to see what areas 80 would be visible?
THanks
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Jay,

Review the section "Controlling the visibility analysis" within the topic Using Viewshed and Observer Points for visibility analysis.  It sounds like you need to use the OFFSETA field in your observer attribute table.  Keep in mind the offset units are assumed to be the same unit as your projection. 

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
JayKappy
Occasional Contributor
That seems to have worked great....
Thanks again.....
0 Kudos