Viewing GPS points in ArcMap

Jump to solution
07-17-2014 11:03 AM
RebeccaMiller
New Contributor

I am trying to view a set of GPS coordinates in ArcMap. I have the coordinates in a CSV file.

The basemap is the 2011 satellite image. It's default dataframe is meters.

I have been trying Add Data>Add XY data and then selecting the CSV

Although the coordinates show in the attributes table, and the points all relate to each other correctly, they don't relate to the base map. If I change the base map to dataframe decimal degrees (which appears to be how the GPS coordinates are recorded), then add the CSV, the attribute table shows the XY data, the points on the layer itself have a latitude of '0' and the same longitude.

I tried creating a geodatabase and importing the table into that, still the same problem.

I know that the points should be in the correct place on the base map because when I visually compare Lat Long from the CSV to points on the map they are roughly the same. My 'go to XY' on the toolbar crashes Arcmap so I can't use that.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong here, can anyone help?

Many thanks

Becs

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What software are you using to generate the CSV?  Try to keep data out of Excel as much as humanly possible.  If you want a free, tried and true interface to your GPS with the ability to produce shapefiles and other formats, see DNRGPS we use if for our classes all the time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

Can you attach the CSV file to this post?

Kevin
RebeccaMiller
New Contributor

Hi Kevin

I can't figure out how to attache the file to this post!

The file worked when uploaded onto ARCGIS online though

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What software are you using to generate the CSV?  Try to keep data out of Excel as much as humanly possible.  If you want a free, tried and true interface to your GPS with the ability to produce shapefiles and other formats, see DNRGPS we use if for our classes all the time.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

When you use the Add XY Data tool in ArcMap, make sure sure that you check the coordinate system that's being assigned. It will default to the map's which sounds like it's in the projected coordinate system. If your GPS data is in lat/lon, that could be the problem.

There's an "Attach" link at the bottom right of this reply--but I may have had to switch to the "advanced editing" view.

Melita

p.s. If that doesn't help, could you post a sample line from your csv?

RebeccaMiller
New Contributor

Thanks everyone DNRGPS worked. I think there was an error in my CSV

0 Kudos